Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cross band repeat question - HT feature needed?  (Read 2746 times)
K5UNX

Ignore
« on: August 17, 2011, 01:28:16 PM »

I am looking into my new first radio and resurrecting my activity in ham radio. I am looking at the FT8800R and I understand it will act as a cross band repeater. I know some will question the legality of this and I have read those comments in other threads, and I understand that . . . . My question is what do I need to look for in an HT to accommodate this feature. I have been looking at a FT60R to a VX-8GR. I am trying to decide if I need/want APRS built into the radio, or save some money and go for the FT60R.

What feature so I need in an HT to use it with a cross band mobile radio? Sorry if this is a basic beginner question, but that's what I am since I have been in-active since I got my license.

Wayne

KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 02:30:03 PM »

The HT only needs features for normal repeaters. It will send and receive on different frequencies in one band. The cross-band repeater will be on two bands, sending what it hears on the other band to the HT receive frequency, and then when the HT transmits, relaying that on the repeater input frequency on the other band. Be very careful setting this up, get with some folks in a local club to Elmer you on it.
K5UNX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 02:38:18 PM »

I joined a local club and one of the guys recommended this setup to me.

VA3WXM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 10:00:54 AM »

There is nothing special you need in an HT to make it work with a crossband repeater.

One desirable feature would be dual-receive.  For example, presuming you can hear the repeater (say on VHF) with your HT, set it up so it transmits on the crossband "linking" frequency (most likely UHF) and receives on the VHF repeater output.  That way the crossband only acts one-way by extending the transmit range of the HT.  That is really what most people want to do.  It also saves the crossband radio a bit because it's only transmitting half the time (from U to V only).

Setting up the crossband this way is dead easy on a Kenwood radio (so called it "locked-band repeating").  On the Yaesu you'll have to kludge it a bit.  I don't know how Icom does it.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 11:39:54 AM »

I have had in the past and currently have many mobile rigs and HT's  that will cross band repeat and have never ever , not even one time , used that feature.  I under stand it can be useful in like using your car as a mobile base and a ht in the building for ecom stuff, but there again  a portable antenna and mast with an extended coax cable will do about the same thing.  but I nok folks that won't buy a radio with out it.  I want to work distance on vhf/uhf, I will do it ssb and simplex.
W5DWH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 08:59:42 AM »

I use cross band repeat quite often, a Kenwood TMV-71A and Yaesu HT. I have the Kenwood set up to ID it'self with my callsign in code. I use this setup for bike rallys, etc. That way I am not stuck setting in the truck, I can get out, move around and meet people. I have also used it for communications from hospital to hospital. The HT's wouldn't reach the repeater because of the hospital's construction but would reach our trucks in the parking lots. So we crossbanded through the radios in our trucks.
Cross band repeat has many uses.
It also allows me to turn the power down on the HT to its lowest setting so the battery will last all day.
KV4BL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 11:34:51 AM »

I use cross band repeat quite often, a Kenwood TMV-71A and Yaesu HT. I have the Kenwood set up to ID it'self with my callsign in code. I use this setup for bike rallys, etc. That way I am not stuck setting in the truck, I can get out, move around and meet people. I have also used it for communications from hospital to hospital. The HT's wouldn't reach the repeater because of the hospital's construction but would reach our trucks in the parking lots. So we crossbanded through the radios in our trucks.
Cross band repeat has many uses.
It also allows me to turn the power down on the HT to its lowest setting so the battery will last all day.

I fully concur.  My Icom 2820 required modification (performed by Burghardt) to allow for cross band repeat.   This is a minus on Icom's part, IMHO.   I probably only use this feature about four or five times a year, but for the reasons you noted, it is worth having, to me.   Additionally, if you have a ham friend or family member who is in the hospital and cannot reach the local machine or simplex net from their ht inside the building, a mobile set to cross band can allow them to say hello to their friends and hear well wishes via the cross band link.
I probably most frequently use the feature when bad weather is threatening and I go shopping in the grocery store.  This feature allows me to hear the repeater even in the back of the store and to transmit, if needed.    The little Yaesu VX-3R works well with this feature.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: