Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No code going code. few questions.  (Read 368 times)
KD7EVS

Ignore
« on: March 01, 2003, 12:57:22 AM »

Greetings all.

I've decided once again to take up code and baring any major life inturuptions like last time (two years ago) I will finish!   So not needing to be said I'm a newbie when it comes to morse code.   I've been in radio since deconstructing and rebuilding (improving) a remote controlled toy when I was nine or so. introduced to ham when a friend talked my family into buying me a HT. had to get a licence to use it so I did.

I just moved and don't really know any hams in the area (yet!).   so I'm voicing my questions here.  one by one... maybe a couple at a time.

First question I keep seeing the Q sign QSV.  now it says: Shall I send a series of Vs on this frequency? or, Send a series of Vs on this frequency.

Now I uderstand it at face value, but why would you want someone to send Vs or want to recieve Vs.  I see often on CW pages VVV. What's the point?

That's my main question right now. I need to get back to MorseCat. Oh, I'm also looking for homebrew plans for a frequency agile QRP rig. for either 80 or 40 meters. (haven't decided don't know that I care). looking for max of 2 watts but needs to be able to run off of a small solar charger/battery setup. I've seen the pixe 2 and tuna tin etc... there is alot of info and plans on the net but alot of the kits or schematics links are broken or incomplete info.

Thanks for any and all replies. please reply here or e-mail kd7evs@hangarz.com
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2003, 02:45:19 PM »

I think 40's a better band for your QRP rig.  Reasons:

-Less noise/static
-More activity 24/7, especially daytime when 80m is quite dead
-Better propagation than 80, thus QRP works better, usually
-Smaller antenna required for any given performance, so putting together a portable station is easier

I like the NorCal 40, although there are tons of plans and inexpensive kits available.

Re: Sending V's or VVV, this is a very old thing.  Obviously, one can send "anything" including V's, C's, S's, or Z's, or anything else.   V's have a nice rhythm and are very easy to send with a "bug," because the electromechanical device would make the three "dits" with no effort.  The purpose of repeatedly sending some letter (or anything) is to generate a signal the other station can home in on, with regard to carefully tuning in its frequency, or peaking an antenna, or whatever might be required.  It's a place holder to kill some time while making adjustments, and puts a signal on the air to assist in doing so.  A dead carrier would also work in most cases, but V's are a bit more gentlemanly and don't stress the transmitter as much.

WB2WIK/6
KD7EVS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2003, 07:52:05 AM »

Thanks.    I kinda assumed the Vs had something to do with what you said but wanted to know for sure.  

As per the qrp rig I believe you've sealed the deal and convinced me to go with 40m. I've been looking through reviews and comments about several qrp kits and I (at least for the present ten minutes) think I'll be getting the Wilderness SST kit.    haven't heard more than one or two bad comments about it and I've read countless pages and reviews.  it looks a bit more rugged than some of the other kits and I've seen a couple modifications that I'd want to do that aren't as easy with other rigs.

thanks for the info and advice
Zeb     KD7EVS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: