Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RV antenna  (Read 1705 times)
KD4DPB

Ignore
« on: July 30, 2011, 05:18:13 PM »

I have been away from RV hamming for a while. Here is my info when i first started i had a push up pole like the one used for cleaning a pool. It was attached to the front jack in contact with the ground and a 10 m rotatable dipole worked great. then went to a pop up camper used a piece of 18 ga galvanized metal i bent at work attached to lifting bars on the side at top used a 20 m ham stick and a vp-1 triband hustler 75m,40m, and 10m resonators with quick disconnects worked great. I now have a 26' travel trailer I tried to move my antenna mount to the top of the push up pole i slid the pole in to a piece of pvc pipe it didn't work swr is all over the place. I was finally able to get 10 m resonator working by putting the end of mast on the ground and only using the top section as soon as i raised the mast the swr went out of site.
N6DMR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 11:16:00 PM »

Sounds like ground plane issues.  Is your 26 ft trailer fiberglass?
KD4DPB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 04:44:48 AM »

body is fiberglass with aluminum structure. I am about to give up and quit trying to rv ham or get a portable dipole
K4HXC2

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 06:43:32 AM »

I might suggest you not give up quite so soon. I'm an RV guy and work 80-10m with two different antennas. A G5RV that I throw up in the trees when I can, is the best and always works.

As you probably already know, RVs are RF noise factories. Between the lights to the inverter/charger/converter there's noise everywhere. Plus your RV neighbors are generating noise too so that's almost as much a problem as antenna issues.

We use a vertical 23' fiberglass multiband HF boat whip on top hinged to a mount for raising. The RV is like yours, fiberglass with metal framing so we added a 8X8 ground plane of copper window-screen glued to the top of the RV centered under the antenna and it is screwed to the frame at the corners. Antenna matches on everything we use with an ATR-30 tuner.

I can tell you that hitch mount and ladder mounts are not the best place and many have had experiences just like yours. SWR all over the place.

The guy that helped me a lot was Alan, KØBG
http://www.k0bg.com

He put in contact with a couple of folks that were a great help and his website is a wealth of information on operating Mobile (which an RV is).

Dennis, WK1A
Formally K4DAZ
In honor of Dad, K4HXC(sk)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: