Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to send a minus sign?  (Read 812 times)
KB1FLR

Ignore
« on: January 27, 2003, 10:44:16 AM »

I finally had my first DX contact on CW with a French station and when I got to the wx portion of the contact, I realized that I didn't know how to indicate a negative temp. I knew what the temp in Centigrade was, but panicked and sent the number in Fahrenheit followed by an F because of my "minus" knowledge gap. Does one simply send the word minus before the number?

Best Regards,
Rick, KB1FLR
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2003, 12:15:30 PM »

I've been active on CW for 37+ years and don't know what the "minus" sign is in code.  I'll bet there is one, but I've never used it.  Maybe -....- (dah didididit dah), which is a dash.  (Not to be confused with -...-, which is a double dash.)  I don't know.

For sure, I'd just send "minus."  What's an extra few characters during a ragchew?

WB2WIK/6
JJ1BDX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2003, 12:25:39 AM »

I second WB2WIK, though -....- is the right code; in the actual QSOs most of the stations sent me as "MINUS 25C" or something like that.
// Kenji 'Joe' Rikitake, JJ1BDX/3
NN6EE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2003, 06:22:59 PM »

Hi WIKee!

Where we live in California it's never gotten below 15 deg. F so we never bothered with either "minus" nor
"-....-"!!! I'd suggest anyone who did'nt want to hassle with the proper sign to just pack up everything and move out here!!!

Jim

N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2003, 06:55:06 PM »

Note that your 15F works out to -9.4C so you still might need a minus sign if you wish to use units that foreign stations understand better.
G3WGV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2003, 05:06:19 AM »

Not withstanding the existence of -....-, the on-air convention seems to be to send the word "minus".  Sometimes, the report is sent (e.g.) "5 C minus", but more usually just "minus 5 C". Either format will so.

Outside of the USA, the Fahrenheit scale is virtually unknown, apart from to a few old Brits like me, and those who happen to spend a lot of time in the US!

73, John
G3WGV, N3GV
K6XR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2003, 10:27:27 AM »

It is -....-  I still use it often when practicing cw from a magazine, but have never used it in a qso.
AE6HR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2003, 02:05:11 PM »

So where does one find a "complete" Morse code sheet.  I have a few books, but they only cover A-Z,1-0, and a few prosigns.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: