Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SWL forum? Has it been mentioned?  (Read 9339 times)
KB1TXK

Ignore
« on: August 19, 2011, 01:02:48 PM »

SWL is a good gateway into ham radio IMHO, and it will provide a place for amateur and non-amateur alike to post questions and comments without:

1) People wondering if the antenna they are talking about will be for transmitting or not
2) Won't be asked to post w/ their call sign
3) A little less overwhelming for non-ticket holders to talk about SWL
4) Can post questions or comments about what they are hearing outside of ham bands

Just a thought. Smiley

2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 04:35:10 PM »

I think there might be dedicated SWL fora elsewhere, but I do agree that its a great gateway into amateur radio. It used to be even better, but much of the wonderful variety on the shortwave broadcast bands has dissappeared in the last 10-15 years. Many of my former favourites like RFPI in Costa Rica and HCJB in Ecuador have gone off the air. I often find myself listening to Radio Australia in the evenings when not a lot else is happening. I also listen to HF Air from time to time. In fact in the 90s my FRG7700 was tuned to 11.175 most of the time!

all the best,

Scotty

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
KC8VWM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 06:20:05 AM »

I agree SWL is a gateway to amateur radio. They should probably just join in and learn the stuff we know about anyways.

I tend to think of SWL's like a Novice but without a license yet.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 07:50:15 PM »

If they become a ham, they can do all of the SWL they want, when they are not transmittingGrin
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 01:10:07 PM »

Well what is the swl forum?
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 03:11:38 PM »

Well what is the swl forum?

Shortwave Listening (SWL)

George
K5TR
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 12:27:41 PM »

I think it's a good idea - it's primarily how I got in to the hobby. SWLing isn't what it used to be but it's still fun and interesting. Would be nice to have someplace here to ask questions about utility stations or best practices in catching rare stuff like Radio Pyongyang...
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 12:21:00 AM »

I agree that it may seem to be a good idea, but this site is a ham radio site, not a SWL site.  I can see why there isn't such a dedicated forum here.
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 08:02:57 AM »

I agree that it may seem to be a good idea, but this site is a ham radio site, not a SWL site.  I can see why there isn't such a dedicated forum here.

I can see why there isn't one as well, but I still think it's a good idea. It could give a chance for people who are interested in HF to mingle with and get elmered by real amateurs.

When I was in the eighth grade I had an HF receiver, I taught myself Morse Code and I had a Heathkit catalog. And that's all I knew. I would have almost certainly gotten a Novice ticket and an HW-9 had someone been there to tell me where to get tested and give me advice.

An SWL forum might bridge the gap for some people. And I'd like to be informed of interesting happenings outside of the ham bands, but I suppose that can be had elsewhere.

Geoff
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 01:30:13 PM »

Yes, Yes, I very much agree! SWL is half of ham radio, the other is transmitting! Duh Huh
KB1TXK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 09:33:47 AM »

Honestly I could make an SWL forum right now on one of my own servers.  That said, I like to use eham for all of my radio-related forum needs Wink

Personally I could see people using it to talk receivers, receive antennas and other receive accessories, interesting broadcasts or odd transmissions (number, pirate, government, etc), share frequency lists...etc etc etc.

It would help keep non-TX related flotsam out of random forums (elmers, misc, etc), and give non-licensed folks a table closer to the cool kids in the lunch room (sorry..I had to haha Tongue )

K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 04:10:54 PM »

In some countries hams had to begin as shortwave listeners for a certain period of time before qualifying to
take the ham exams. SWLing does have ties to ham radio.

The only problem is that the number of shortwave stations are dwindling as more and more countries cut
back on expenses. Many have stated that it is far easier, and more reliable, to offer their services over the
internet rather than via shortwave. SW maybe obsolete, but I also doubt many listeners in third world
nations are blessed with internet connectivity and the computers to listen on!

Pete
KB1TXK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 09:20:50 AM »

Admin(s): THANK YOU!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: