The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for a CW training device to suplement PC keyboard on Win XP.  (Read 6237 times)
AC6CV

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2016, 09:39:40 AM »

You don't need to do any sending to learn CW.  It's all listening.  Back in the day I used an MFJ code tutor to help build speed but nowadays you can get obamaphone apps that do the same thing.  They will generate letter groups, callsigns, plain text or whatever you need.  There is also the option of downloading the W1AW code practice as an MP3, or use the G4FON software to generate your own MP3's from text.  Lots of options out there you can use to practice wherever you are without having to sit at a PC.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM

CW is listening. However, to say sending CW doesn't help is not correct. Picking up a good book and sending the text in CW will build your code speed. Reading street signs in CW builds your code speed. All of it builds your code speed. Once you learn CW a contest will really help build your CW speed.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2016, 10:22:07 AM »

There are a lot of uncopiable fists on the ham bands, the owners of which seem to believe they don't have to be able to send to communicate using CW.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2016, 10:55:36 AM »

There are a lot of uncopiable fists on the ham bands, the owners of which seem to believe they don't have to be able to send to communicate using CW.

This is true. Learning to send Morse code is an important part of becoming a CW operator and some time needs to be spent learning how to do it. But the number of uncopiable fists goes way up if you have to rely on a decoder.

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2016, 01:10:59 PM »

I think people dash (get it) into being able to send with not enough receiving experience now.

There seems to be this thought, that if I spend enough on a flash key, it will make my cw better.

As I recall it was well after being able to do 100% copy at 8 / 10 wpm or so that we moved onto a bit of sending.  That was with non of this farnsworth stuff.  Straight copy from the local paper, not fast but we had to get it all down.

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
MSTRAM

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2016, 03:25:37 PM »

I think people dash (get it) into being able to send with not enough receiving experience now.

There seems to be this thought, that if I spend enough on a flash key, it will make my cw better.

As I recall it was well after being able to do 100% copy at 8 / 10 wpm or so that we moved onto a bit of sending. 

That was with non of this farnsworth stuff.  Straight copy from the local paper, not fast but we had to get it all down.

And "farnsworth stuff"  (is bad? ) because Huh?
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2016, 03:54:15 PM »

You hear so much morse now that has a totally incorrect rhythm, I often wonder is this a symptom of people   l i s t e n i n g    t o  m o r s e   w i t h  incorrect spacing from the outset.

Just my thoughts.

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
MSTRAM

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2016, 06:20:17 PM »

Where are you hearing this morse ?

Any morse I hear seems to be computer generated and perfect (boring) ... and at "blazing" speed.

I'm not a licensed ham, just listen occasionally on my portable sw radio, and recently started listening to online WebSDR.

AC6CV

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2016, 08:06:10 PM »

I spent most of my time on a straight key up to about 18 to 20 wpm. Even at that speed a long conversation can get tiring on a straight key. In todays real world a key board works quite well. Most contests are done with a key board or macros. That said, for someone learning code JMHO that using a straight key sending as well as receiving will build your speed. The old morse machine you could carry on QSOs with it. Neat way to sit and carry on a running QSO with youself and build your code speed.
K8PRG

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2016, 06:25:05 AM »

Where are you hearing this morse ?

Any morse I hear seems to be computer generated and perfect (boring) ... and at "blazing" speed.

I'm not a licensed ham, just listen occasionally on my portable sw radio, and recently started listening to online WebSDR.

Check out: http://www.obriensweb.com/sked/index.php?board=skcc
You'll see straight key ops chasing each other for QSOs..various speeds and rhythms.
AC6CV

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2016, 07:02:39 AM »

As I recall it was well after being able to do 100% copy at 8 / 10 wpm or so that we moved onto a bit of sending.  That was with non of this farnsworth stuff.  Straight copy from the local paper, not fast but we had to get it all down.

I never even heard of farnsworth until about 15 years ago when a friend was trying to get his extra license. I just learned the old fashioned way in 1954 with 78 rpm records to get my license. Then copying 500 kcs. for practice. NSS weather was sent on 121 kcs at about 18 wpm.
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2016, 07:38:19 PM »

I never even heard of farnsworth until about 15 years ago when a friend was trying to get his extra license. I just learned the old fashioned way in 1954 with 78 rpm records to get my license. Then copying 500 kcs. for practice. NSS weather was sent on 121 kcs at about 18 wpm.

I found the old record that helped us learn morse recently, it was quite warped and scratched so it got binned.  I learnt, the 'old fashioned' way, makes you feel ancient doesnt it, in the 60's.

Then used to listen to GKL down around 1600.

Luckily I could do 20's by the time I went to Radio College, so that got me out of Morse, just as well, I did not have A level maths so went to Evening College to get A level maths.

Wonder what the generation of "old timers" will be like 30 years.  I remember when we only had XT computers, those were the days.

K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2016, 06:02:03 AM »

Wonder what the generation of "old timers" will be like 30 years.  I remember when we only had XT computers, those were the days.

My son's generation barely has any inkling of life before large-scale integrated circuits. I'm sure they'll argue about which Xbox game was the best. When I showed him how a slide rule worked (when he was 17) he was puzzled. "Why didn't you just use a calculator?"

But it's probably a step above the ones who will only remember which light beer they liked the best.....

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
M0LEP

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2016, 07:26:16 AM »

I remember when we only had XT computers

When I was a boy computers filled a room and used punched cards or paper tape.
When my father was a boy there were no computers, but you could travel by automobile and maybe even by aeroplane.
When my grandfather was a boy he went to school in a horse-drawn cart, and travelled greater distances by train.

Times change. The way we do things changes. Some things change less than others, but even the way Morse is taught has changed a great deal.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 03:59:13 AM by M0LEP » Logged
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2016, 10:05:49 AM »

Is your radio near your computer ?  That would be a good tool to learn Morse code with Smiley
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: