Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help to ID a 3-element HF beam  (Read 3327 times)
VE7TI

Ignore
« on: August 20, 2011, 01:23:29 AM »

I recently inherited a small used 3-element HF beam. Problem is, it was disassembled with no make, model or manual. I'm hoping someone will recognize it and provide some info so I can get it working and in the air.

Photos at: http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/28851209/1/HF%20Beam?h=f21431

Thanks for your help

73, John
W1NK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 08:38:21 PM »

The style of the driven elements as well as the trap caps appear (to me, anyways) to be Mosley.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 12:12:32 PM »

I don't think these are parts of a Mosley.  In fact the 3rd. picture doesn't look like
anything I have seen before.  Maybe if you were to lay the parts on the ground and try to arrange them so they looked more like a beam it would help.
Anyway good luck, I think you will need it.

Allen
W1NK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 06:10:04 PM »

Allen's right...after a second look, I agree, this is not a Mosley.

I shouldn't trust my tired eyes!   Wink

AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 05:43:37 AM »

Been hamming more than 40 years and I have never seen one like it.  I am familiar with Mosley, HyGain, Cush Craft, Swan, Telrex, etc but not this one.  It has an open driven element like a Mosley, but I have never, never, seen a yagi with the "thingies" near the traps.

If it were mine I would replace the rusted hardware, clean the whole thing up, put it on a temporaty mast, and feed some RF into it and see what happens.

Dick  AD4U
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 06:16:36 AM »

OK the new pictures give a better idea of what you are dealing with.  It appears that
there are two elements that are driven and that the parallel tubes are for phasing between the two driven elements.  The third element is probably a director.  I don't know what to make of the short tubing at the traps (I quess they are traps???). 
Probably a tribander but might just be a duobander or even a monobander?? 
I suggest you set the thing on saw horses get it all hooked together and use an antenna analyzer to help figure out what gives.  It may prove to be more trouble than
it is worth.
73 Allen
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 10:51:29 AM »

I recently inherited a small used 3-element HF beam. Problem is, it was disassembled with no make, model or manual. I'm hoping someone will recognize it and provide some info so I can get it working and in the air.

Photos at: http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/28851209/1/HF%20Beam?h=f21431

I am pretty sure this is a TET antenna. 

Their current web site is here:

http://www.tet-emtron.com/

I do not see this exact model on their page so maybe they no longer make this antenna.

George
K5TR
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 11:29:23 AM »

Yeah  some of the TET antennas have the funny looking spike doo-dads next to
the traps (must be some kind of tuning for the traps).  However the pictures are not
good enough to tell for sure but I couldn't see any detail of the feed system.  So don't
know why two elements would be fed.  
Allen
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 01:22:24 PM by KA5N » Logged
K3SF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 06:10:47 PM »

i have had two different TET antennaes and this looks like one dual drive element concept with phasing  line...dont remember the 'spikes' could be used to add warc bands
paul k3sf
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 04:03:34 AM »

It could be a TET.  Take a look at VK4QH on QRZ.com.  He has a 4 element that looks very similar, especially the tuning spokes on the outer portion of the elements.

Don, K2DC
W5ER

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 11:21:04 AM »

John, if you ever find out, PLEASE post the info here.  I have what appears to be the same beam but lacking the "U" shaped sliders.  I was told that it was an early Hygain but could never verify it.

73 Ed W5ER
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 02:17:26 PM »

After looking at the TET EMTRON site and the pictures of their various antennas,
I think what you have is a TET TE33  or a TE33M.  Both cover 20,15, and 10 meters.
All the TET's get glowing reports (whatever that's worth).  You can also buy parts for
their antennas.  Of course they are made in Australia and that would run the cost up.
Since you have nothing invested in the antenna it seems worth trying it out.
Good Luck
Allen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: