Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: connecting straight key to radio  (Read 437 times)
KD5RYB

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2003, 03:28:37 PM »

Hello all.  I have a rather simple question which I hope can be answered easily.  A friend/elmer of mine is going to give me an HF radio (I think he said something about an Icom).  When I recieve it I would like to operate CW with a straight key I already have.  My question is this: How do I connect the key to the radio?  Most radios that I have seen have a headphone type plug on the back of the radio for the key.  How is this type of plug connected to the two terminals on the key?  I know the answer is probably quite simple, but I just can't see how it is done.  Could you tell me how a connection cable can be built or where it can be bought?  Thanks in advance!
Jeremy KD5RYB
K1ZC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2003, 05:13:44 PM »

Go to your local electronics store and buy a mono (not stereo) plug to match the jack on the radio.  Unscrew the cover, and you will see two places to solder on the wires.  One wire is connected to the center pin, the other wire to the ground.  Pretty easy to figure out what I am talking about once you have the cover off.  Don't forget to slide the cover over the wire before you start!

The other end goes to the key; one wire connects to each screw terminal.  If you want to test it out, get a multimeter and see if you have a complete circut when the key is closed and an open circuit when the key is open.  Unless you get messy with the solder and short out the connection, this project will be very hard to screw up.  If all else fails, ask your Elmer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: