Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: punctuation  (Read 575 times)
N4NQM

Ignore
« on: March 12, 2003, 08:29:41 AM »

Hi.  Which punctuation symbols do I need to learn?

period, comma, question mark, slash--what else?

MRX Morse Code training software has parentheses, underbar, hyphen, dollar sign, colon.  Should I learn
those?  I'm not averse to learning new things, but my aged brain can hardly contain anything anymore and I don't want to waste time and brain power on symbols I'll never use.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2003, 01:06:56 PM »

Another reason why "Morse training software" is so silly.

The only other ones you need to know are double dash (--), which is dahdidididah, and dash (-) which is dahdididididah.

You can pass the Extra code exam without knowing any of them, actually, since it's a comprehension test.  But it is useful to know some of the punctuation for sending purposes.  It's also highly useful to know, recognize and understand the meanings of the popular prosigns.

WB2WIK/6
K0KK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2003, 08:23:01 PM »

I think you've named the ones you need:  period, comma, question mark, and slash.  Also, prosigns of AR, SK, BT, BK, KN, and maybe AS (wait).  It's true you might not need these for transmitting at first.  However, they're commonly enough used.  As a result, you could be momentarily stumped when you hear one, if you don't know it, and that could block you from comprehending characters that follow.  I think it's easier just to learn them from the start.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: