Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about grounding stake vs cold water pipe.  (Read 13624 times)
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 06:21:05 AM »

Something to think about with 'RF' grounding (or safety grounding) and water pipes/fences/etc.  Are those routes to ground common with your neighbors?  I have doubts about the water pipes, but I also wouldn't bet on it.  Fences, I unfortunately do know about, and wouldn't advise using them.  Not just RF grounding, but safety grounding also.  Then again, if you are going to be 'blessed' with some lightning, why shouldn't you share your 'blessings' with your neighbors?
Ever see a ground line connected to a PVC water pipe?  I have.  Somebody must'a wanted to get finished really quickly, you know?
 - 'Doc
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2011, 11:46:30 AM »

Directly to a PVC water pipe?  I've seen grounds connected to copper pipes that are connected to PVC water pipes, but never directly to a PVC pipe!  Like you said, they must have been in a hurry.
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2011, 12:40:50 PM »

I would not worry about paths to the neighbors one bit.

Most of the hits with smaller towers or no towers are to the power mains. The power line surge comes through the mains and through the station grounding system as a termination. Everyone shares the power mains, CATV, and Telco and does not worry one bit.

In the event it does strike a tower or Ham antenna directly, there wouldn't be much left anyway that would be there through other paths unless it was an ungrounded overhead conductor.

The biggest issue is making sure everything comes up together at the same rate. It isn't even earth that has the largest safety contribution.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: