Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QS1R Feedback  (Read 28994 times)
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2012, 07:08:34 AM »

This information is on the Wiki if you bother to look for it.
I did "bother to look for it" but I would prefer the pre-amp/filter board to be....
A-be mounted in the QS1R box
B-be made FOR the QS1R by the same designer.

So, in other words, you just want to whine and complain about it.  There are many advantages to having the pre-amp and filters outside the box.  Unless you have done it, you probably don't even realize why.

Did you "bother to look" and see I'm an SWL not a Ham....why would I want a Hermes?!

You are barking up the wrong tree, 'friend'.  Where did I recommend that you buy a HERMES?  I said nothing in my response to you about the HERMES.  Are your SWL glasses fogged over or something?  Roll Eyes

Gene
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 07:11:33 AM by KE5JPP » Logged
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2012, 07:55:18 AM »

SWL: Don't take this to seriously, some very few people are happy to find a reason for bashing without understanding what the posting was about  Wink It's not even worth reading or even answering.
Mostly, however, you'll find reasonable contributions in eham forums.
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2012, 01:36:24 AM »

Yeah I was singing the praises of the radio, and I own one. The point is that it has limited distribution and marketing which limits  its marketing reach and appeal. It is a great radio  and if many more hams tried a DDC/DUC radio with knobs they would soon realize the potential of the technology.

Sure HPSDR is  a poor risky investment if you dont know what you doing. It does give you the ability to buy into and experiment with the future of ham radio. We unlikely to see things like adaptive pre-distortion, beam steering  or  DSP based DF systems from the Japanese manufacturers. People like Joe K5SO could  probably deliver a  complete system if their was some kind  of licensing system in place. I would be happy to pay  for a commercial version of something like power SDR if it offered the above features.  The same comments apply to Phil Covington, I dont expect anything for free. If he delivered the goods in terms of features and performance I will pay. The alternative is the broken  Flexradio model or being stuck with dinosaur technology like all the current manufacturers.

I am surprised that there has been no distributor appointed for the ADAT in the USA. I would have thought that a good marketing company like DXENGINEERING Or ARRAY Solutions would have done an excellent marketing job on such a  great radio. It certainly is a  lot more attractive than the super expensive Hilberling radio which  although a superb bit of engineering is a white elephant in technology terms. The price of the Hilberling radio  will doom it to a certain short lived and painful marketing death.

QSR1 and QST1 is like the the ADAT radio, a dead end road going nowhere fast. Its unfortunate but I suppose when its not your full time job and a hobby you cant expect much.

I have a QSR1  and I like it a lot, its a wasted investment now since I just got my Hermes radio. I would suggest  you look at this option.

My Hermes with a Class A 10 watt amp is superb. I just putting the finnishing touches to my VRF150 amp with diplexer filters. I really dont need any other radios at the moment. Well I do, A HPSDR Hermes with a front panel!

HPSDR Hermes is a superb solution  and it is very affordable and blows away anything on the market at moment.

Coming up on 1 year after the RFFE1 Wiki update.....not a word....when you ask there are no replies...dead silence.

Weren't you just singing the praises of the ADAT a few weeks ago?  Now you are trashing it.  You already have very little credibility because you hide behind fake names like 'zenki' and 'plebian99' and your credibility further suffers when you continually post conflicting information.  Of course, being an anonymous coward, you do not worry about the embarrassment of continually contradicting yourself, do you?   Roll Eyes

I bought into the HPSDR stuff early on and it ended up being a huge sinkhole of wasted money and time.  It is supported by 'volunteers' and the software is in a terrible state.  Trying to figure out what version of firmware or software to load brings you multiple conflicting advice from the 'volunteers' on the mailing list.  When you eventually find and use the esoteric firmware loading program, you next find out that the firmware they told you to load is not the correct version for use with the current software available!  The only half way usable software for the HERPES, err... HERMES is based on a kluged version of Flex Radio's PowerSDR which has been stripped of Flex's latest 'features' such as the tracking notch filter.  PowerSDR also limits you to sound card sample rates of 192 kHz max, when the HERMES can do more.  The other 'volunteer' developed software is not usable and does not support transmitting and is continually deficient in any useful features.  They are more worried about trying to listen to 7 receivers at once then how you are going to transmit with the thing.  NO THANKS!

The ADAT is available and can be purchased, so I'd say it isn't dead.  It is too expensive, in my opinion, but still cheaper than the Flex-6000 series.   As far as the QS1R, there is no QS1T, so you obviously are talking out your you-know-what once again.  It is called the QS1E, not QS1T.   I have been using the QS1R with the QS1E exciter add-on board with my external class A amp for six months now.  The QS1E came out 6 months before HERMES.  At least the QS1R software is supported by a company with active development and not a lot of fooling around you have to subject yourself with the unsupported HPSDR stuff.

Gene

NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2012, 06:41:19 AM »

The quest for the newest best often ends in disappointment.  I am glad I have settled down now and don't have the bug so bad.

It's all in the level of the challenge for me, fun if its a stretch, a nightmare if what's desired is a near impossibility.

Time will sort out this market.  It goes back to the thread, to SDR or not to SDR. 

Perhaps someone will come up with something next year that will be Flex 6Kish at a reasonable cost with a reasonable level of effort to get results.

If the idea is not to have tons of virtual slices, one can have a lot of fun with the KX3.

What we really need for the experimenters is a really nice exciter amp solution.  Something that can take a few mili watts and give us a hundred what's out with a built in buffer and ability to daisy chain a legal limit amp off the back.  TenTec is getting closer, but we need a high quality answer to that.  Then all the experimenters have a viable outlet to play with.  Might be nice if it supported multiple radios as well, or even had the built in switching so one could hang multiple receive only SDRs.  Perhaps even multiple antennas as well.

KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2012, 07:23:23 AM »

If the idea is not to have tons of virtual slices, one can have a lot of fun with the KX3.
True, particularly if you compare the price of about $ 1200 for a mW QS1R/E transceiver with that of the KX3.
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2012, 04:49:11 AM »

True, particularly if you compare the price of about $ 1200 for a mW QS1R/E transceiver with that of the KX3.

Apples to Oranges (actually more like pebbles to planets), once again.  It is not only about 'slices', which is an idiotic Flex Radio term for something that DDC based receivers have been capable of for a long time now.

Both require an external amp unless you enjoy the sometimes frustration of QRP.  The KX3's internal PA is not very clean and when you drive an external amp, it only gets worse from there.   You can achieve exceptional transmit cleanliness with the QS1E.  You are not limited to a manufacturers chosen arbitrary transmit bandwidth with the QS1E as you are with the KX3.  You can get, at best, 192 kHz view of spectrum with the KX3 when connected to a computer running some SDR software.  With the QS1R you can see and record up to 2 MHz of spectrum.  The old QSD based KX3 as a SDR (and that term is used loosely) is no where in the same class as the DDC based QS1R.  If you want to set up your own CW Skimmer, the QS1R is capable of decoding on 7 ham bands at once using CW Skimmer Server.  The best you can do with a KX3 and CW Skimmer is a few kHz on one band.  

At the end of the day, after the newness has worn off, the KX3 is not much different than any other radio from Icom, Kenwood, or Yaesu that has an IF output and it is just as limiting.  With a true DDC/DUC based SDR like the QS1R or HERMES, those limitations are gone.

A better comparison would have been comparing the QS1R - QS1E to the yet to materialize $7000+ Flex Radio 6000 series.  Both use the same FPGA - DDC/DUC based architecture, but the former is $6000 less expensive but gives you the same type of capabilities.

Gene
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2012, 05:21:10 AM »

Apples to Oranges (actually more like pebbles to planets), once again.  It is not only about 'slices', which is an idiotic Flex Radio term for something that DDC based receivers have been capable of for a long time now.

Both require an external amp unless you enjoy the sometimes frustration of QRP.  The KX3's internal PA is not very clean and when you drive an external amp, it only gets worse from there.   You can achieve exceptional transmit cleanliness with the QS1E.  You are not limited to a manufacturers chosen arbitrary transmit bandwidth with the QS1E as you are with the KX3.  You can get, at best, 192 kHz view of spectrum with the KX3 when connected to a computer running some SDR software.  With the QS1R you can see and record up to 2 MHz of spectrum.  The old QSD based KX3 as a SDR (and that term is used loosely) is no where in the same class as the DDC based QS1R.  If you want to set up your own CW Skimmer, the QS1R is capable of decoding on 7 ham bands at once using CW Skimmer Server.  The best you can do with a KX3 and CW Skimmer is a few kHz on one band.  

At the end of the day, after the newness has worn off, the KX3 is not much different than any other radio from Icom, Kenwood, or Yaesu that has an IF output and it is just as limiting.  With a true DDC/DUC based SDR like the QS1R or HERMES, those limitations are gone.

A better comparison would have been comparing the QS1R - QS1E to the yet to materialize $7000+ Flex Radio 6000 series.  Both use the same FPGA - DDC/DUC based architecture, but the former is $6000 less expensive but gives you the same type of capabilities.

Gene

The problem is power with the QS1R.  As a Reciever it would seem to be outstanding, for transmit thought there are hoops a person has to jump through.  The real point of my post was about the need for a solid exciter amp solution for these exceptional transceivers and not having too many hoops to jump through.  The KX3 has a nice receiver in it, but even at 10 watts running QRO requires more hoops to jump through. The ten Tec amp doesn't seem to be the answer for these radios yet.  Getting closer but still falls short in my humble and limited opinion.

If there were a nice solution, I'd have a QS1R already.  Hopefully 2013 will bring us the goods!

KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2012, 06:03:51 AM »

If you are going to use the KX3 as an SDR instead of its real purpose as a portable QRP rig, you'd do much better to save your $1000+ for the KX3 and purchase a $90 SoftRock Ensemble transceiver.  Just like the KX3 you need to use with with an external sound card and computer, but the capabilities as an SDR is pretty much the same.

Gene
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2012, 06:07:33 AM »

The problem is power with the QS1R.  As a Reciever it would seem to be outstanding, for transmit thought there are hoops a person has to jump through.  The real point of my post was about the need for a solid exciter amp solution for these exceptional transceivers and not having too many hoops to jump through.  The KX3 has a nice receiver in it, but even at 10 watts running QRO requires more hoops to jump through. The ten Tec amp doesn't seem to be the answer for these radios yet.  Getting closer but still falls short in my humble and limited opinion.

If there were a nice solution, I'd have a QS1R already.  Hopefully 2013 will bring us the goods!

How about elevating yourself above glorified CB operator/appliance operator status and actually build an amplifier for yourself instead of using the credit card and waiting on a sub-optimal packaged solution?  

There are plenty of decent plans for amplifiers out there.

Gene
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2012, 08:07:01 AM »

How about elevating yourself above glorified CB operator/appliance operator status and actually build an amplifier for yourself instead of using the credit card and waiting on a sub-optimal packaged solution?  

Gene

Do you have yours running more than 100 watts yet?  If so, how long did it take?

Now, there is nothing anywhere that says you have to be electrical do it yourself to be a ham.  There are hams that also love to incorporate kit building, or even their own design and building into their hobby.

You just happen to enjoy doing both, and I might someday too when I don't have an extraordinarily busy life that even limits my radio time leave alone building stuff.

To each their own! 

It would be nice to hear more about where you currenty sit in your project, I seem to last recall you were still building.

KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2012, 04:47:10 AM »

Gene

Do you have yours running more than 100 watts yet?  If so, how long did it take?

Now, there is nothing anywhere that says you have to be electrical do it yourself to be a ham.  There are hams that also love to incorporate kit building, or even their own design and building into their hobby.

You just happen to enjoy doing both, and I might someday too when I don't have an extraordinarily busy life that even limits my radio time leave alone building stuff.

To each their own!  

It would be nice to hear more about where you currenty sit in your project, I seem to last recall you were still building.

No, I am not 'still building' and have not been so for months now.  If you had bothered to read my earlier posts, you would see that my amp is running 250 Watts at -40 dB or better IMD.  I have been running this for a few months now.  The description of the amp is also in my earlier posts.  0 dBm (1mW) in, 250 Watts out.

There is nothing wrong with buying already existing equipment if it does the job you want.  However, there are too many Hams that bitch and moan about things they can't get and if they could build equipment like a real Ham, then they would not have that problem (other than laziness).

Gene
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 04:58:33 AM by KE5JPP » Logged
KX0O

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2012, 06:30:57 PM »

Gene,

What plans did you use?

Doc
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2012, 02:55:19 AM »

Gene,

What plans did you use?

Doc

Please do a search of my posts on this subject.  I don't have the energy to repeat it all here again.  Undecided

Gene
KX0O

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2012, 08:53:11 AM »

I did before i asked... will look again. 
KE5JPP

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2012, 08:57:36 AM »

I did before i asked... will look again.  

Start here:

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?topic=82448.15

Gene
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: