Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Morse Code Software  (Read 565 times)
KE4IZA

Ignore
« on: February 20, 2003, 05:15:10 PM »

I have search and searched and have yet to find morse code software which will function under Windows XP.  Some refuse to even load while others load but I get no sound.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Jim Glenn
KE4IZA@comcast.net
KG6MEF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2003, 08:14:41 PM »

I am using KOCH.EXE. It is a free download. I found a link to it on eham.net somewhere. It works perfectly on my laptop with windows XP.

Scott
K1ZC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2003, 09:25:26 AM »

I use NuMorse Pro with no problem, but I think most
Windows based applications should work without any problem.  

Check your sound card settings; click the little speaker icon on the task bar to open the volume controls.  Make sure the volume slider is turned up for the sound source you are using and also make sure the mute check box is cleared. I am 99% sure your problem is with the sound card setup and not the Morse code application.
WPVS546

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2003, 09:28:44 AM »

You can get it from G4FON's site at http://www.qsl.net/g4fon/. I've been using it, and it works fine on XP.

By the way, I'm taking Elements 1, 2 and 3 tomorrow!
KD5QLK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2003, 05:37:13 PM »

I concur on using KOCH.EXE. I bought codequick, tried several others, listened to the ARRL cd's, but the day I clicked on the "about" menu in the Koch software and went ahead and read the info there was the day I started learning morse code. I installed it at work and at home, and would frequently take breaks throughout the day and copy 1 minute of code. I started at 2 letters and slowly worked my way up - when I could do a minute without errors three times in a row I added a letter. When I got towards the end I turned off most of the letters and drilled on the last few, got them down, and cranked up the speed. NOTE - you want to set it at 6wpm 20 actual character speed so when you take the tet your not surprised, I had it a bit slow so failed my first morse test, cranked it up and within a week passed it.
Another VERY important thing to learn is to skip letters, that is, if you get confused and dont know a letter, DONT STOP, start copying as soon as you hear one you know - this seems obvious, but isnt, and made a big difference - you'll find you can keep the last letter in your mind while hearing the next.
Also change the tone frequency (sound) every once in a while so you dont get fixed on a particular sound.
I started seriously trying to do the code at the begging of february, and passed my code test 1 March. Granted this was the fourth or fifth time I came back to it, so some letters I had already "learned".
One last tool that helped, I have a palm pilot and used "beep" which is a code tester, as well as a couple others to test myself at times like restroom visits - it adds up.
Lastly - take the code seriously. You're not just doing this so you can pass the test - there really are times that code is the ONLY thing that will get out, and this skill once learned might be a really big deal one day. I intend to improve my skill, get a decent key, and make the occasional CW QSO more often than not.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2003, 02:13:42 AM »

I heartilly reccommend g4fon's koch method.  you start with 2 letters and differentiate between them untill you hit 90% then add the next letter, there is also a computer typing and scoring program there too, this teaches you useable code and it is free..

G4FON.co.uk  

and say hi to ray he does this for fun   73  tom N6AJR
KG4YQS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2003, 10:40:34 AM »

I also used G4FON's Koch software to learn code. I took the Koch approach to heart, and used 25wpm characters and 16wpm groups. As I got about halfway through the 40 different characters, I had to drop back to 12wpm groups, since I just couldn't keep up. I kept confusing similar-sounding characters, and some just wouldn't sink in at the higher speed ("G" completely kicked my butt for some reason).

In order to prepare for the actual code test, I used Koch.exe's ability to send code from files, using the sample QSOs included with the software. By the way, you have to set it to the full 40 characters to get the buttons to appear for reading files. I also slowed it down to 15wpm characters and 5wpm groups so it would be closer to the actual test. Man, was that a shocker the first time I did that. I had a hard time at first because I was too impatient, and wouldn't wait until the end of the character before I'd write it down!

One last caveat. I also used the KochRx software so I could type the code as I heard it, and then have it automatically checked against what was sent. I'm glad I used it, but it has a couple of shortcomings. Most noteably, in calculating your accuracy percentage, it only goes until it finds the first mistake (ignoring extra or missing spaces between groups). Unless your "one minute of perfect copy" is from the very beginning, it doesn't recognize it. Actually, it doesn't recogize it at all. You'll have to look and see if it's telling you that you got 25 or more characters correct (at 5wpm, of course). Bottom line: KochRx is great while you're learning code, or maybe trying to gain speed; don't use it to practice for the actual code test. You need to use paper and pencil for a while before you take your Element 1 test. It's a completely different experience writing your code instead of typing it.

Boyd
KG4YQS
N8YAD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2003, 10:26:38 AM »

Let me throw another log on the fire, you've probably already heard that there are as many ways to learn code as there are people learning code...I concur with K1ZC, NuCode works just fine w/ my Windows XP. It's also the only way I have yet to find that works (like you, trying a couple times w/o success). I loaded it, tried out the trial version, and it was like a switch was thrown! Suddenly my brain understood all those crazy dits and dah's. Try it out, It should work fine, and if not, the programmer gets back with you very quick. Take care & 73's!
BG4AOC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2003, 02:34:11 AM »

G4FON's Koch.exe is highly recommended. I just started with it one week ago and feel soooooo good.

Don't want to say too much coz only you can feel the benefit after you use it yourself.

Use it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: