Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hp 110-3500 mini combo audio socket  (Read 1849 times)
ZS5WC

Ignore
« on: August 24, 2011, 01:31:32 PM »

Huh I have just purchased an HP 110 mini netbook and to my HORROR I discovered that the audio socket is for BOTH the audio out (to headphones) and for the condenser mic, if connected.
This requires an special 4 pole plug -two for oudio out left / right two for +4.5v supply to the condenser mic and audio return.
WHY in heavens' sake has HP done this!!. where can I obtain the right plug so that I can adapt this pc for digi modes?..

Apparently the sleeve is NOT even the Common / Ground return!!

Best Regards,
William
ZS5WC / ZS4L
KA1MDA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 10:14:06 PM »

This may be the same type of connector commonly used on cell phone headset sockets. I am not familliar specifically with the HP connector, but cell phones use a 4 pole connector which allows for stereo audio out plus mic in. The audio input from the mic and the 5V bias voltage usually ride the same pin. On my cell phone, the socket is wired so as to remain compatible with regular stereo headphones.

Tom
KB9TMP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 07:47:32 AM »

I had a Compaq Mini that is the same netbook. I found out that it's the same exact plug (1/8" stereo 4 pin) that an iPod Touch uses for the earbuds with a microphone and Yaesu uses for their speaker/microphones. Mouser sells those connectors. You can also order just a cable with tinned wire ends or a cloning cable for a Yaesu HT's from your favorite ham radio dealer and cut it in half.

GL OM
73 de KB9TMP
ZS5WC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 01:08:23 PM »

:)Thanks for the replies guys--at least I know where to start now..
These silly plugs boggle the mind akin to using a RJ-45 telephone plug for a rig mic. connector!.

73 de William
ZS4L / ZS5WC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: