Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spray to improve RF conditions, propagation and eliminate RFI  (Read 8129 times)
AA4HA

Ignore
« on: August 24, 2011, 05:17:53 PM »

I need to buy this stuff by the barrel;

http://www.j-walk.com/other/wifispray/

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 07:09:30 PM »

That has got to be the funniest thing I have read all week. Thanks for the post.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 10:52:09 PM »

I`ve got some cow magnets I`ll sell you real cheap...... Cheesy
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 05:28:56 AM »

<snooooooOOOOOOOooorrrk!>

(That, of course, is the sound of coffee being nasally propelled onto a computer keyboard.) 

Hilarious!
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 05:38:46 AM »

I wonder how this stuff compares to flat black spray paint?  According to one of our infamous regulars, flat black spray paint has the power to make your antenna invisible to neighbors.  I think it's endorsed by Glen Beck too.

Wink
AD4U

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 06:03:27 AM »

During the CB craze some 35 years ago, there was something sold called SWR spray.

Dick  AD4U
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 06:36:29 AM »

I'm ready to buy!  Especially after all those "Smith" family endorsements.  However, I do have two concerns.  I will have to move my Wifi outside.  Not sure about the "don't use around electrical equipment" caution.  I'll figure out something.
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 07:10:08 AM »

I`ve got some cow magnets I`ll sell you real cheap...... Cheesy

Funny thing about cow magnets. I once worked at a facility that did electronics fabrication and we were latecomers to the entire idea of ESD protection. At first we had one of the production supervisors running around with a spray bottle of fabric softener, hosing things down (floors, tabletops, etc...) with diluted fabric softener spray. Somewhere in his head was this idea that if fabric softener would take the static electricity out of clothing in the dryer it would work on solid surfaces. Gradually this layer of fabric softener residue built up on counter-tops and the floor to the point it was dangerous to walk as your feet would slide out from under you and you would land on your a$$.

We had a tough time getting people to accept the little wrist straps with the coiled lead and banana plug for ESD grounding. They also hated the little black heel straps in their shoes to ground them to the conductive rubber runners we had on the floor. (BTW, the fabric softener made those REALLY slippery). I started a rumor that we were going to use cow magnets and bare wire as a grounding lead. The idea being that in the morning you would swallow this cow magnet with the wire attached and work the day with the end of the wire hanging out of the corner of your mouth and use the banana plug on the end of that to get a good ground. At the end of the day we would pull on the wire to remove the cow magnet from your stomach. I went so far as to write up a very official looking company memo and to tape it to the doors of the production floor.

After the ridiculous fabric softener spray police the folks had had just about enough of the ESD program. Later that afternoon there was a line of folks at most of the managers office doors who wanted to complain about the cow magnet ESD program that was scheduled to start the following Monday morning.

Plausible deniability; no fingerprints were ever found on the door mounted memos. No proof existed of who came up with the idea, it did start such a poop-storm that even the fabric softener attacks had to be curtailed.

It was nice to go home and not be coated with this fine layer of fabric softener on the bottom of your shoes, your clothes and your skin. I really disliked the smell of Downy for many years after that period of my life.

When saner heads prevailed we came to find that taking all of this expensive electronics and packing it up in foam peanuts generated probably 10,000 times more static electricity than anything that happened on the manufacturing line. Just the shrink wrap machine in the shipping department would throw off big electric sparks.

Tisha Hayes
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 07:21:13 AM by AA4HA » Logged

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 08:13:09 AM »

Thanks for the funny post.  Having worked with state agencies and the burrocratic bull, (spelling right for them) donkeys get it ?  Loved your cow bell story .Good thing you wiped the fingerprints from the memo. I mean, with all those Smith  testimonies and a guy in a white lab coat how can you go wrong? Oh,guess the anti hurricane spray is working fo fla so far.The spaghettie models are looking good , but the meatballs and parmasan cheese ones have to worry about . Oh, for the first ten qrp callers, get second bottle free. " i was able to cancel my LINNNIER   ORDER NOW. I'M  LIKE BIG GUNS NOW "" , can I get this thru mfj?   spelling and caps  are part of joke ok ? Grin kg4ymc
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 11:02:29 PM »

Speaking of slippery floors,if you`re ever in a restaurant kitchen be very careful. When they discard food it gets thrown anywhere on the floor. Take baby steps. This is not a joke.
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 09:19:37 AM »

I am allergic to that fabric softener so I would have been able to go into the building. Sounds quite dangerous to me..I wonder what OSHA would say about a work environment like that.
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 10:29:57 PM »

I can see it now. Before you 'all became appliance operators,we used to have to have to  make our own ; spray . See other post . sprit of amateur radio .
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 05:14:51 AM »

At one time, Plessey Microwave Materials sold a lot of 'Anti Intermodulation Grease'. Quite expensive stuff, too. It was a very heavy conductive grease that was hard to wash off with sea water, and was used to prevent IM products caused  by  poor contacts between bits of rigging on warships.

But to anyone who doesn't know, it sounds like a similar product to the spray.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 05:52:54 AM »

ROTFLMAO!

This reminds me of the antenna accessory attachments during the CB craze of the 70s that were "guaranteed" to get your signal out better. 

Thanks for the laugh!  BTW, do you know of a spray that will stop hot coffee ingress to a computer keyboard?  Because that is what happened just before I fell off my chair and ended up ROTF!
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 06:02:21 AM »

"flat black spray paint has the power to make your antennas invisible to your neighbors"

It works perfectly! Just spray it on your glasses lenses and you won't see any antennas. You probably couldn't see them through those trifocals anyway.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 07:24:33 AM by KI4SDY » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: