Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me use "split" QSOs  (Read 806 times)
VE4BLB

Ignore
« on: August 26, 2011, 01:11:03 PM »

I cannot figure out how to determine how a stations split can be found. I always just thought I couldn't hear the other station. Or is that an entirly another matter? Please be detailed as I am dense Grin

73 de me BLB
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 01:56:28 PM »

Typically a DXpedition or special event station will operate split to move the domestic pileup 5 - 10 kHz off their calling frequency. This gives everyone calling the DX station a clean frequency to listen on, minimizes the number of repeat calls needed for pileup management and will improve the overall efficiency of the process.

Assuming no one screws it up... Which can be quite an assumpton.

If you suspect a DX station is operating split note the frequency where you hear them. Often they will announce 'listening five up' or similar. If not, tune 5 - 20 kHz above their frequency and listen for the pileup calling the DX station. Once you've found the pileup, set your radio to RX on the DX station's calling frequency and TX on the pileup frequency.

Consult the owners manual if you're unsure how to assign separate TX and RX frequencies on your radio...........

Never change a password on a Friday                
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 02:12:24 PM »

I cannot figure out how to determine how a stations split can be found. I always just thought I couldn't hear the other station.

You'll be able to hear SOME of the other callers most of the time.  At least one or two callers from time to time.  If nothing else, you can sometimes hear very strong stations on backscatter or maybe catch a local guy who's also calling (not so likely in VE4 I suppose)

It doesn't always happen.  I've been in the situation when I really can't hear any of the other callers, or can only hear one every ten minutes or so.  This is a tough situation, sometimes helped by people posting where they worked the DX the DX cluster, sometimes helped by instructions from the DX.  Sometimes it's okay to guess if you're very careful about making sure you're not QRMing anyone else.  Up 1 on CW and up 5 on SSB is a good bet, but tread carefully.

Sometimes a DX station will choose a split that skips one or more ongoing QSOs... they might be listening up 10kHz on phone with another QSO going on up five. 

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
KG4LMZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 08:16:03 AM »

I've occasionally hit PSK operators working split.  Unfortunately, their messages usually just say "up" or "down" rather than "up 5" or "down 10" or something like that.  I have yet to actually hear anyone calling them or find their split frequency.  Is there any "custom" for how far up or down to split on PSK?
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 09:35:04 AM »

I've occasionally hit PSK operators working split.  Unfortunately, their messages usually just say "up" or "down" rather than "up 5" or "down 10" or something like that.  I have yet to actually hear anyone calling them or find their split frequency.  Is there any "custom" for how far up or down to split on PSK?

Working split and just saying listening "up" is rude, inconsiderate, and unnecessary. In my opinion any station just saying "up"  is a LID and is causing unnecessary QRM, no matter how rare the DX is.

They really should say exactly where up, and pick just one spot. If the pileup is too intense, then they need to refine it further by area or letter instead of just ruining the band for all other operation. Not only is it much faster for a DX station to run people when they do not have to hunt and tune, it makes the rest of the band useful for other people.

I can't think of any good reason to not say some specific listening frequency. This new practice of spreading people out is something that started in the last 20 years or so, and is becoming more common as people become less considerate.

73 Tom

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: