Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reviving the New Jersey QSP Party  (Read 5020 times)
K2QPN

Ignore
« on: August 27, 2011, 02:17:02 PM »

The Burlington County Radio Club is in the process of reviving the NJ QSO Party for 2012. We would be willing to partner with another club. We are also looking for ways to encourage participation - especially from NJ. You thoughts and ideas are appreciated. Also your participation.

The NJQP website is njqp.hamshack.info and the email njqp@comcast.net.

73, Bob K2QPN
KC2VDM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 10:23:06 AM »

Try getting in contact with the DVRA. The club's callsign is W2ZQ. Be neat for NJ to have a QSO party.
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 03:26:18 PM »

Best wishes in your endeavors.  As a former Philly resident, I  spent plenty of time in Jersey, from  the Cape, up to  Middlesex Co, and out to the PA line.  It would be fun chasing all the NJ counties and hearing familiar names again.

So I look forward to  your success.

N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 11:46:35 AM »

I never took part in the NJQP because it was the same time as the NAQP.

Make it a separate event on a separate weekend and maybe more people will bite.
K2MK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 07:41:16 AM »

I like to participate in several QSO parties using CW and as a NJ resident I tried the NJQP several times. But I always found myself all alone on the band. I think the selection of August may have contributed to the small turnout. I operate much less in July and August than in the cooler months. Just more stuff to do outside.

Here's a few of my personal preferences. You've got to have a good web site with easy to understand rules and easy to submit results. Publish the preferred frequencies so people can find us. Keep the exchange simple, RST & County for NJ ops and RST & State/Province/DX for others.

You must have contest modules for the major programs. WriteLog, my favorite, uses modules and I suppose the other contest programs do as well. Yes you can still use WriteLog without a module but a dedicated module requires no setup, recognizes the counties, keeps track of multipliers, and permits a method to log roving stations.

Don't exceed 24 hours. Saturday morning to Sunday morning is good. Don't break it up into multiple operating times. Way too difficult to understand. Don't interfere with other popular HF contests.

Be sure to check out the California QSO party in October. It's more popular than many mainstream contests. Pennsylvania is also quite popular. The Salmon Run (Washington) this weekend is also very busy. Their web sites might offer ideas.

Mike K2MK
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 07:54:40 PM »

good points by K2MK.

Im in Ohio and  find the late Aug OQP  very active over its 12 hr duration.  If I had my druthers, Id change the 12 hrs from noon til midnight to a bit earlier....say 9 or 10 am til 9 or 10 pm to take advantage of better conditions on  80/40/20. 

The OSPOTA contest is an 8 hr contest and its fun and a bit easier  than the 12 hr test.  Those 24 hr contests are more work and less fun as we get older.  So the 8-12 hr SAT tests really appeal. 

K2MK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 03:59:26 AM »

I want to add to my previous posting that WriteLog already has a module for the NJQP. It is based on an RST, serial number, and state/prov/dx exchange. I'm unable to comment on other programs.

And as W3HKK suggested, a 12 hour contest might be more appealing.

Mike K2MK
NN3W

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 06:26:43 AM »

1) Limit the contest to 12 hours; if you want more than 12 hours, do 20 hours but ensure the contest period does not include the overnight hours.  Maybe 1600z Saturday to 0400z Sunday and then 1200z to 2000z on Sunday.

2) Contact one or more of the major regional contest clubs and see if there are members that like to operate mobiles - this is TREMENDOUSLY successful in the FlQP and Texas test.

3) Find a good weekend where there is not a major/medium level category contest going on (e.g., CQWW, NAQP, WAE, RDXC).  I cannot operate in the VaQP because its the same weekend as the RDXC. 

4) If there are other state QSO parties on the same weekend, use the five letter county designators for your county (e.g., Camden would be CAMNJ or NJCAM (depending on how its done) instead of simply CAM).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: