Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wire antenna, pulley set up.  (Read 4263 times)
W9KDX

Ignore
« on: August 28, 2011, 12:06:42 PM »

I have a very light Par antenna and a rather heavy Hy Power 66 foot Dipole.  I have both of them set up with a pulley system on one end which balances rather well and seems to work out fine for wind moving the trees.

The Par is fastened to a post on one end with the pulley, and at a 20 foot tree on the other.   The Hy Power is fastened to two trees the taller one is about 25 feet.  The pulley is on the taller tree. 

I am starting to remember pictures from my youth and I am not sure if 2 pulleys are required or not.

Do I need 1 or 2 pulley systems and is there any good rule of thumb for how much weight I need on the pulley?

Thanks

Sam
W9KDX
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 12:32:02 PM »

Two pulleys makes it much easier to lower the antenna for adjustments, but only one end needs a counterweight
(as long as it moves smoothly.)

The weight sets the tension on the wire, and therefore the amount of sag.  I like light wire under little tension,
but a heavier antenna will require more.  I generally wouldn't exceed 10% of the breaking strength of the wire.

For one of my antennas I can't leave it under tension or it will vibrate and the whole barn acts like a sounding
board.  In that case the counterweight sits on the ground, leaving little tension on the antenna until the tree
blows enough to lift it.
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 03:47:49 PM »

Thanks,

That is what I was hoping; another pulley system will be a lot of work but I hate to leave anything half done.

Much obliged.

Sam
W9KDX
MAGNUM257

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 04:35:18 PM »

Maybe it is overkill, but I use three pulleys on my G5RV. The center (on a pulley/lanyard) is 45' up the tower and the ends (pulley/counterweight) are 20' up a tree. Easy to lower and raise.
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 05:12:10 PM »

yes i use a 3 pully system as well on my dipole one on center support (a tree) and one on each end. Makes life really easy when or if you need to lower it.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 06:03:26 PM »

If you suspend the dipole from the center with a cord that can be raised and lowered over the limb and add a pulley on each end weighted with a brick, you can raise and lower the center of the dipole to convert it from an inverted V to a flattop for different performance patterns in one antenna. This is the KI4SDY method of doing it!  Grin

Also, this method reduces the chance of antenna damage in a wind storm.  Wink

Why was this posted on "Tower Talk?"
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 07:23:48 AM by KI4SDY » Logged
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 12:50:38 PM »

Why was this posted on "Tower Talk?"

Right in the menu header, if you would care to read and not just run off at the mouth. <g>

"Tower Talk
Antennas, Towers, Rotators, Coax and related topics"

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 07:41:41 PM »

Everything you listed is supposed to be related to tower usage. There is no tower involved in this situation so quit rationalizing and acting like a troll!  Grin
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 07:46:54 PM by KI4SDY » Logged
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 07:57:22 PM »

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum.  This is the only one that deals with antennas.

Sam
W9KDX
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 07:58:58 PM »

It's not the wrong forum. 

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 05:36:38 AM »

Excuse me! You are absolutely right. There is no separate forum for "Antennas." Specifically wire and ground vertical HF antennas that have nothing to do with towers, but there should be. The "Tower Talk" listing fooled me. In this case, I was absolutely wrong! Shocked

My apologies to those that politely pointed that out.  Embarrassed

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 05:16:31 PM by KI4SDY » Logged
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 05:45:12 AM »

Everything you listed is supposed to be related to tower usage. There is no tower involved in this situation so quit rationalizing and acting like a troll!  Grin

A Troll you say?  It does sound like you should know one!

http://www.kg4rul.info/TROLL.jpg  Roll Eyes

KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 06:31:36 AM »

I do! I am responding to one now. Any person that cannot accept an apology is definitely a Troll. Of course, you would already know that after looking in the mirror this morning.  Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: