Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Farnsworth settings for 18 - 20 wpm speed.  (Read 836 times)
KA0MLA

Ignore
« on: March 21, 2003, 10:37:27 AM »

What Farnsworth settings would be recommended for a final code competency of 18 - 20 wpm ? I will be using the MFJ code trainer.
KB1FLR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2003, 09:40:38 AM »

I always have my MFJ Tutor set to 20 WPM. Currently, I am close to resanable proficiency at 15 WPM.

Rick, KB1FLR
N6KB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2003, 02:23:25 PM »

The advantage of Farnsworth timing is that at lower speeds the characters are perceived as a complete sounds rather than individual dits and dahs that are easily counted. Using Farnsworth timing prevents you
from developing the bad habit of counting dits and dahs
and mentally looking up the combination in the conversion table in your head. If you do start out that way you will reach a plateau around 8 or 10 WPM where you cannot do that anymore, and you will have to finally really learn the code properly to go further. Better to learn the character sounds first.
Once you get up to around 18 WPM you are probably already hearing the letters instead of counting dits and dahs, so there is no reason to use Farnsworth timing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: