Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power Strips @ Harbor Freight  (Read 6784 times)
W5CPT

Ignore
« on: August 29, 2011, 11:18:05 AM »

Harbor Freight has 4' long power strips with 12 outlets on sale for for $25.  If you get the 20% off coupon they put in a lot of magazines it comes to only $16.  The outlets are far enough apart to plug in wall-warts and there are mounting holes in each end. Great and inexpensive way to clean up the 4 extension cords behind the ham desk. 

Clint - W5CPT -
KC2VDM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 04:40:25 PM »

Honestly, I wouldn't trust harbor freight with you $1000 dollar equipment. Not saying they don't make good stuff. I would at least check it out very carefully before using it. (:

Harbor Freight, the only place where you can buy $5 machetes! (:

-KC2CDM
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 05:40:40 PM »

I wouldn't trust harbor freight with you $1000 dollar equipment.

It is a Power Strip - not a Surge Suppressor. I will plug mine into a good suppressor.

Clint - W5CPT -
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 01:59:11 PM »

Harbor Freight has 4' long power strips with 12 outlets on sale for for $25.  If you get the 20% off coupon they put in a lot of magazines it comes to only $16.

....wait a minute....

20% of $25 is $5.
 $5 off $25 is $20.

Where did the other $4 go?

The outlets are far enough apart to plug in wall-warts and there are mounting holes in each end. Great and inexpensive way to clean up the 4 extension cords behind the ham desk. 

Nice! I sure do hate it when a wallwart takes up 3 or 4 outlets by overlap.

Personally I make my own shack power distribution from outlet boxes, outlets and scraps of house wire. But that's just me.

73 de Jim, N2EY
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 04:26:38 PM »

Jim sent me looking for my receipt.  The power strip is NORMALLY $24.99 - marked down to $19.99 and then 20% off made it $15.99.  And like Jim, I make my own usually but I can not buy the boxes, outlets, clamps, and covers for 12 outlets for $16.  And the quad boxes that I use only let me plug one WallWart in each box.

I installed mine today on the back of the bench and took 3 multi-strips out from behind the bench. The only thing I don't like is that the ground cables run awfully close to the blades of the plugs in the strip. I have to be very careful when plugging or unplugging them to make sure one of the ground cables does not make contact.

Clint - W5CPT -
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 06:11:08 PM »

The power strip is NORMALLY $24.99 - marked down to $19.99 and then 20% off made it $15.99. 

Mystery solved! Thanks!

Here's a link to the item:

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-outlet-super-power-strip-96737.html

73 de jim, N2EY
KC2MWJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 08:14:21 AM »

I've had one of these power strips, on my workbench, for the past 3 years.
My drill press and power tools are plugged into it. Each outlet also has a safety
interlock cover, which can be rotated closed, if the individual outlet is not being used.
Not bad for the price. 
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 09:06:28 PM »

MWJ - different power strip - the one I bought is the one listed in the link above - still a good deal - I am going to get another for the workbench in the shop.

Clint - W5CPT -
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: