Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW receiving device?  (Read 406 times)
KD5TNA

Ignore
« on: March 31, 2003, 10:30:58 PM »

Hello all, I'm a technician trying to learn CW and was looking for a device that would allow me to send and display the characters on a screen so I could practice sending code.

Anyone know of such a device or how I could rig up something that would allow me to see what I'm sending?

Thanks
K1ZC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2003, 08:43:03 AM »

There are a number of computer programs that will attempt to read CW, with varying levels of success.  These programs are EXTREMELY sensitive and demanding, so you will need to send near perfect code for them to work.  That might be frustrating at the start.

Most rigs have a practice feature that engages the sidetone without putting out any RF signal.  Just hook your speakers up to the computer sound card input jack and pound away.  The computer programs will not know the difference.  Check out HamScope (free) or CWGet ($35) as software choices.
N0JZQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2003, 05:37:52 PM »

KD5TNA

Go to this website:  http://www.mrx.com.au/d_cwcom.htm

Download CW Communicator

You can hook up a key to the computer and have at it. I just started using this software and it has been a big help. It will let you practice offline or go online and do some QSO's.

I really like it because I don't have my station set up yet but I can try some QSO's before I get on the air.

The neat thing about this program is you can also just type like chatting and then switch to the key.

Everyone on the system has been real helpful and friendly.  The software is free.

If you want help hooking up a key, drop me an email at N0JZQ@arrl.net

I just used a serial cable and wired it to my straight key. Some gentlemen from the UK where on CW Communicator and gave me the info. Works great. Of course you can just use the keyer that comes with the program but a real key is a blast.

N0JZQ

W4YA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2003, 06:58:46 AM »

It is great that you want to learn CW, and I wish you luck and encourage you to practice. But practice RECEIVING not SENDING. The advice I give to anyone in your situation is to lock you key in a closet until your copy goal speed is reached. Then sending is almost automatic. Think about how a baby learns to speak. He LISTENS for a while, then he speaks. CW is the same idea.

There are a lot of free CW programs. I like G4FON. Just search for G4FON.

Good luck and don't give up.
73, Jim W4YA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: