Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Morse Code Telegraph Sounder???  (Read 2054 times)
N5KNG

Ignore
« on: November 18, 2002, 09:29:29 AM »

My dad said he would like a morse code (not American code) telegraph sounder for Christmas.  I see quite a few sounders on Ebay, but have no idea whether they are used for Morse code, or the American code.  I know he has an old Vibroplex key (puts out several dots when held to the side, using a mechanical, weighted spring action), and I suspect he wants to use them together.  So my questions are:

1)  How do I know if I have the right kind of sounder (most of them seem to be made by Western Electric and JH Bunnell, one was by Manhattan Electric)?

2)  What is a fair price for one that works?

3)  Do I need to get him a battery of some kind to make it all work, or will 110 VAC do the job?

Any and all comments appreciated.  Thanks in advance for your help!  Regards ... mvm.
N0JZQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2002, 03:34:33 PM »

N5KNG,

Go to this website: http://www.mtechnologies.com/lta/index.htm

Morse Express sells newly manufactured sounders. It is called a KOB (Key on Board). This setup has a sounder and a straight key mounted on a wooden base. It will run off of a battery. You can attach any type of key to this setup if you want to use a different key.

I have purchased old sounders from ebay but you never know if they will work and you can still pay a hefty price for something that might not work.

As far as using the American code or the Continental code, it doesn't matter, the sounder is just a signaling device.

W3IJD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2003, 12:11:42 PM »

I wonder if anybody has had any luck running a "land line" morse sounder rig over the internet.  I've been playing around on CW Com.  Their website indicates one can set up morse sounders on their system but I haven't heard of anyone doing so.  Has anybody heard anything?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: