Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Top of the DXCC Honor Roll  (Read 30019 times)
G3RZP

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2011, 07:25:39 AM »

So how many people are at or can get to the #1 spot on the Honor roll? I'm just (!) waiting for KP1, and there's hope that one will happen relatively soon.  There must be a lot of DXers out there who haven't got P5, are most unlikely to have a chance to get it in the forseeable future, and so have no chance to get to#1. Would it be an idea that if an entity hasn't been activated for a certain time, it should drop off the DXCC list?
WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 07:53:56 AM »

You can see the standings at http://www.arrl.org/dxcc-standings
Click on one of the Honor Roll links. No one is at the top at the moment since the ST0R QSLs are not out yet. You need 341, but you can count how many have 340 now.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 07:56:29 AM by WW3QB » Logged
N6PSE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 08:52:32 AM »

ST0R QSLs will be out in early October.

I would like to see entities that do not allow amateur radio activity such as P5, Turkmenistan and Eritrea removed as active countries on the list of 341 entities, since it is currently impossible to work them.

Paul N6PSE
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 09:44:39 AM »

I would like to see entities that do not allow amateur radio activity such as P5, Turkmenistan and Eritrea removed as active countries on the list of 341 entities, since it is currently impossible to work them.

I understand the thinking behind this but what would be the cuttoff threshold? What would be the criteria for "impossible to work?"  I worked P5 and E3 in/around, I believe, the latter part of 2000.  So that's 11 years.  BY and ZA were dormant for much longer periods than that but today you can find them on the air daily. 
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 10:21:01 AM »

It does seem a bit strange to have places on there that are extremely unlikely to have activity in the forseeable future. However, we had Southern Sudan, then we lost it, now we have it back....We are going to lose Malyj Vitoski or however it's spelt, too.

The way to get there has to be 1) be active 2) work every new one as soon as possible 3)live long enough!
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 10:52:40 AM »

Honor Roll, and especially #1 Honor Roll, are lifetime achievements. If you start DXing at age 85 you are probably out of luck, if you start when you are a teenage (like most of us did) you are in better shape. But every DXer knows it takes lots of time to work them all (through forces beyond his/her control), so if you start late in life you are at a significant disadvantage. Just like solar cycles, I know many OT's think of life in terms of how many more solar cycle peaks they have left!

I think my only hope for P5 is to have it deleted when it either explodes or joins with the south. I suspect we will be working Yemen in 5 years.

paul
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 11:11:57 AM »

I started at age 16, but wasn't that active until 1986 - I was up to about 150 at that stage. Been stuck waiting for KP1 ever since I missed it last time round because of a business trip.
What I find  interesting is that since 2006, I've not had an amplifier, but have worked all the new ones since then, including VK9XX on 80 with just 100 watts.

160 is another matter, though...I'm 64 now  and so need to get a move on to finish 9BDXCC. I thought I'd got 5BDXCC, but deleteds don't count. A new one for 80 came in this week, though, so I'm there.
AA9RN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 01:41:54 PM »

Ah yes also waiting for 1. KP1. Been on since 94.Just about ready to wrap up 9bdxcc.Also working on 6 now.Only 89 more.LOL ........I will be  6ft under before  that happens.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 01:55:54 PM »

ST0R QSLs will be out in early October.

Paul N6PSE

I certainly understand your point - but I also have my list of entities I think are impossible due to environmental concerns, and my list is different than yours. I'm at 328 - 3 deleted and am 52 years old - so maybe enough time to get to #1 (hi hi).

I worked P5 and EZ in the last 10 years, and I have only been DX-ing for 10 years. The great equalizer is time - in time, these will be activated again. Political situations change often - even with "closed" countries.

I recently asked a member of the DXAC what his take was on why and when entities get deleted - specifically in regards to entities soon to be under water. (I have Scarborough, but Kingman hasn't been activated for 11 years and is nearly under water at high tide).

He said that some of the entities currently on the list wouldn't be allowed on the list given todays rules, but were grandfathered in. He didn't say exactly which one's, but alluded to the fact that Scarborough had an activated invalidated because it wasn't high enough above the water line. The rules had been changed in the late 90's to stem the rising tide of political arguments over which should be included and which deleted on the list.

It made me laugh - having seen a QSL card of Minami Tori-Shima. . . .(7J - now deleted)

« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 02:18:08 PM by KY6R » Logged
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 02:04:14 PM »

KY6R

I guess one's opinion depends on what countries you want and how old you are!
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 02:17:33 PM »

KY6R

I guess one's opinion depends on what countries you want and how old you are!

Exactly.

I have had a personal "beef" with entities that seem impossible due to environmental concerns - and one's because of that have been put under the auspices and control of private groups (meaning public access is really iffy). Then there are those with 1 ham and no way to have a team DX-ped go there.

But of course, these are the last 16 that I need, and that these last impossible one's remind me that this is a lifelong pursuit, and that I should have gotten into DX-ing back in 1973 - when I got my first ticket.

In fact - its precisely the "impossible" one's that make the whole program worth staying in. I never thought Descheo, Peter I, P5, BS7H or VU7 would be activated - and then they were!
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 05:38:11 PM »

So how many people are at or can get to the #1 spot on the Honor roll? I'm just (!) waiting for KP1, and there's hope that one will happen relatively soon.  There must be a lot of DXers out there who haven't got P5, are most unlikely to have a chance to get it in the forseeable future, and so have no chance to get to#1. Would it be an idea that if an entity hasn't been activated for a certain time, it should drop off the DXCC list?

I got my novice ticket in January 1990 and reached the top of the Honor Roll in August 2009 -- less than two solar cycles. How? DXLab.

It has not been usual for entities to "go dark" for significant intervals -- e.g. China, Myanmar, Albania -- and later return to the ranks of active entities.

The idea of removing entities that haven't been activated for a certain time is much worse than the typical "make it easier" proposals. So if a cold-weather DXPedition team can't raise the funds required to activate South Sandwich or Bouvet every X years, these entities should be removed from the list?

My advice is to keep yourself occupied with DXCC Challenge and/or Marathon while you're waiting for currently-inactive entities to be activated.

Dave, AA6YQ

N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 06:54:59 PM »

"I got my novice ticket in January 1990 and reached the top of the Honor Roll in August 2009"

Hmmm..... DX cluster #1 honor roll.

I got my ticket in 1965. Got #1 Honor Roll about 1993.

I used to take the mailed newsletters, check in on  Sunday 75M DX net to see who/what was active.

We had a land line call list too. "call me anytime if Father Moran is coming in".

73 Yall
K9NW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 07:26:48 PM »

First QSO was in Nov 1979.  Last one for Top HR (*) was YA5T in Feb 2002. 

(*  Not official yet since I haven't updated DXCC totals since 1986 but all on the current list are worked/confirmed.)

Plenty of other ways to keep your DXing skills sharp while waiting for those "impossible" ones:  DXCC Challenge, CQ DX Marathon, IOTA, etc.

(upon further review P5 and E3 were both worked in late 2001)
K1VSK

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 08:24:28 PM »

Getting to the top of the Hr is easy - all it takes is time and the ability to sustain interest. What's more difficult, at least in my experience, is staying there. With all the new "entities" since I did it, some of which are dubious and sometimes laughable, it's more difficult now esp with interests which change with age, to care that much anyone. Essentially, working ST0 for example for the second time, isn't a great accomplishment nor did it give me much satisfaction. It's kind of a "been there, done that" feeling now every time something changes in the DCCC critieria but feels like somebody changes the rules in mid-game.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: