Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Labor Day Sale - Harbor Freight 800W Generator  (Read 5902 times)
WA7TN

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2011, 06:57:09 PM »

I live in western Washington and maybe this sale will be good at your QTH.  Harbor Freight has its Chicago Electric 800W generator on sale on Labor Day 2011 for $79 in western Washington.  This is NOT a coupon sale so I assume you can use the 20% discount coupon as well.  They have them in their newspaper ads or get one at http://www.retailmenot.com/view/harborfreight.com.  If you have an Entertainment Book there may be one in your edition.  I realize the quality of this generator has been debated on this and other sites, but I'd think at about $63 this generator deserves a look.   Caveat emptor and if it's too good to be true it usually is apply as well.  Mike, WA7TN

Correction:  The announcement was bundled with a Labor Day sale announcement.  Turns out that the sale for this product will be October 7-9.  I apologize for the oversight.   Embarrassed

UPDATE:  HF now has a flyer which specifically excludes this generator from percentage off coupons.  Sigh, it was a great idea.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:03:20 AM by WA7TN » Logged
KJ4RWH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 12:19:20 PM »

It's still a bargain. The flyers in Virginia have it at $89 right now and I bought one a year ago for that price. I have about 20 hours of use on it and I'm quite impressed. Fairly quiet, good governor regulation, burns clean with synthetic oil, etc
Reminds me of the time we caught Vince (a died in the wool Ford man) driving a Chevrolet. When asked about it Vince exclaimed, "that ain't no chevrolet, that's a bargain, and I'll drive a bargain any day of the week"!
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 07:10:08 PM »

I have one that's identical but with a different name on it that I bought about 2-1/2 years ago from Northern Tool. It has powered our Field Day station three times now, so about 75 to 80 hours total. This year, in order to place it downwind so we weren't exposed to the "stinkpot" 2-stroke exhaust smell, it sat about 35 feet below our yagi and less than 20 feet from the base of the inverted L, with 75 feet of extension cord to the operating positions. There was NO RFI WHATSOEVER.

The only downside is that it's hard to start when you first put fuel in, and hard to restart if you let it run out of fuel before you refuel it. Otherwise it starts on the first or second pull of the rope whether the engine is hot or cold.
ALCO141

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 10:10:19 AM »

sure everyone would like to have a honda for about $999.99, these are very portable, inexensive and mine has been reliable.  i just keep enoug 2 cycle oil on hand to make about 10 gal of fuel if needed along with a 1 gal can to mix it in, i have used stabil with my fuel and have had no problem keeping it for 8-10 months.  some of these units have a 12 volt dc output also.

my experience with this small generator is the same as yours, it was again on sale for $89.99,  mine has run about 40 hrs, works well, auto throttle works and is fairly quiet,  who does not need an 90.00 dollar battery charger, refrigerator runner, furnace runner, yea you cant do all these at once but each in its turn may just make your house livable in a power outage.  in fact i would bet that there are a lot of folks in new england that just had a major power outage that would love to have one of these purring on the back porch right about now.  lots of folks have derided these small inverter generators, but my and friends of mine experiences have been nothing but positive.  five gallons of gas goes a long way also.

i keep an extra one of these i bought on sale as a back up/spare, loaner , given the price.

i have a 10 kw unit to do the heavy lifting, but most of the time this smaller unit handles a lot fo the small power needs.

alex
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 10:24:17 AM by ALCO141 » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 11:03:18 AM »

sure everyone would like to have a honda for about $999.99, these are very portable, inexensive and mine has been reliable.  i just keep enoug 2 cycle oil on hand to make about 10 gal of fuel if needed along with a 1 gal can to mix it in, i have used stabil with my fuel and have had no problem keeping it for 8-10 months.  some of these units have a 12 volt dc output also.

my experience with this small generator is the same as yours, it was again on sale for $89.99,  mine has run about 40 hrs, works well, auto throttle works and is fairly quiet,  who does not need an 90.00 dollar battery charger, refrigerator runner, furnace runner, yea you cant do all these at once but each in its turn may just make your house livable in a power outage.  in fact i would bet that there are a lot of folks in new england that just had a major power outage that would love to have one of these purring on the back porch right about now.  lots of folks have derided these small inverter generators, but my and friends of mine experiences have been nothing but positive.  five gallons of gas goes a long way also.

i keep an extra one of these i bought on sale as a back up/spare, loaner , given the price.

i have a 10 kw unit to do the heavy lifting, but most of the time this smaller unit handles a lot fo the small power needs.
alex

One day I will get one too. Those 2 cycle units are sweet for money. Plus no oil in crankcase to spill if stored on side. You might try Amsoil 100 to 1 oil in fuel mix. I use it here in my 2 stroke snowblowers, chainsaws and leaf blowers and love it. No smoke and smoother running and idling.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: