Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how to behave: I sent at 13 wpm but can't copy all  (Read 695 times)
KF6VCI

Ignore
« on: October 05, 2002, 09:27:51 AM »

One wants to get away from "counting" dots. Copying is shaky (except callsigns - this may indicate a concentration problem). So I brazenly sent at a higher speed and QSO partners sometimes get mad at me when I fail to comprehend a question. // Crawling along at 8 wpm (the slowest my K1 goes) unduly burdens my QSO partners. // I see myself as an alie learning a language amongst natives. So I try to speak the way they do and learn to understand more as I go. Q: is this appropriate or should I stop it right now and get back to 8 wpm, sending at a speed I can copy better? Mni tnx, Chris kf6vci@web.de
K1ZC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2002, 10:54:29 AM »

Conventional wisdom is to send at a speed approximately equal to what you can copy.  If you want to improve speed, MONITOR and LISTEN to something a bit faster than what you are comfortable with.  So, if you are at 8WPM find some 10-11WPM conversations.

There are lots of slow speed ops out there, just hang around the old Novice sub-bands.  Keep at it and you will get faster.
ADAM12

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2002, 12:48:59 PM »

That's good advice from K1ZC. There's really no point in trying to send faster than you can copy. In fact, when I was learning, I found that often, the other OM/YL would reply faster than I was sending - either unconsciously or to "stretch" me Smiley

I'd avoid 20 meters if you can, until your speed gets up a bit as although the DX there is loads of fun, they're kinda "serious" on 20. Also avoid the lower portions of each CW band as that's where the speed demons (many of whom use a keyboard to generate the code) hang out.

You'll find lots of people who are more than happy to have a slow speed QSO with you and if they start going too fast, just ask them to PSE QRS; they'll understand, we've all been there. Only once did I have an idiot (lid) start responding at about 1 wpm in response to my PSE QRS. He was obviously doing it "for a laugh" as we'd been going at about 10 wpm prior to that. I got the last laugh however as I just QSYd and left him to it Hi Hi.

The main thing is to enjoy it and try to have a little conversation; not just the RST, Name and QTH. I know it can be a little tedious at 8wpm but all the sending experience counts towards your ability to receive according to the experts.

Persevere and before long you'll be proud to have achieved something a lot more rewarding than "Push To Talk" and you'll meet a lot of great people in the process.
ADAM12

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2002, 01:06:24 PM »

You might also want to check out the Fists CW Club Code Buddy program. This is a program open to members and non-members whereby they'll pair you up with a more experienced CW operator for on-air QSOs with a view to giving you practice and improving your speed. Check it out at the link below.

http://www.qsl.net/w9em/index.html

You might also want to check out "A Beginner's Guide to Making CW Contacts" by Jack Wagoner WB8FSV. There's loads of great info on CW procedure etc here.

http://www.extremezone.com/~nk7m/cwguide.htm

GL ES 73 OM ..
K7MAN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2002, 02:21:33 PM »

As a ham who is interested in keeping CW as a mode in ham radio, I always spend some time looking for slow speed CQs and operators.  I also keep a hand key standing by just in case.  As I tell the students in our code classes, the more practice you get, the faster you will go, however, accuracy counts more than speed.  Stay with it, you will get there!
KF6VCI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2002, 10:27:25 PM »

Mni tnx dr "ADAM 12", great advice and links! I replied to the others directly. 73, kF6VCI
N5XM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2002, 08:03:04 AM »

First thing is you gotta be patient.  You will get there if you give it time, work on it every day, just make contacts.  Nobody is a good CW op without practice and time.  I try to send CQ at a speed I am comfortable copying, and if someone answers at a speed too fast for me, I ask them to QRS.  If they don't, well, I do the best I can.  If they don't like it, THEY send 73, and it's on to someone else. Whatever you do, try to send steady, even, well-spaced code.  CW is not a race, and believe me, there are thousands out there who will respond to an increase in speed with cranking it up way past what you can copy, keyboard or not.  The only way I would use a keyboard is if I got crippled or something, but that is just me.  
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2002, 07:16:56 PM »

go to  http://www.g4fon.co.uk/  and down load his free  soft ware.  there is also a program there you can use to type in on the computer and it scores for you too.  this is the koch method. you start with 2 characters at 20 wpm, thenlisten and copy for 5 minutes.  when you get 90% on the two, add one letter and go again.  when you have all of the 46 numbers, prosigns and letters learned, you know code at 20 wpm, which is useful, and you can pass the 5 wpm test in your sleep..  Ray has made this a great program  73  tom N6AJR
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2003, 07:34:05 PM »

Bye the way.  I have the same problem.  You are double converting.. that is you hear dit dah, see A in your mind then write A.  when you "get it" you hear the dit-dah and write A with out thinking about it.  

Eventually you get to where you hear words like the and "and" etc. as a little song.  My previous post on using G4FON's soft ware does get you around this.  

We can all send much faster than we can copy because we know in advance what is coming up.  so don't give up and try the Koch method.  73  tom N6AJR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: