Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 meter/440 all mode suggestions  (Read 2959 times)
K8POS

Ignore
« on: September 04, 2011, 08:00:17 AM »

I know I am opening a can of worms here!

I am looking for a 2 meter/440 all mode radio.  I currently have an Yaesu FT-100. and have owned an ICOM 810H (wish I never sold it).  I do like to work the satellites now and then.
100 watts output would be nice, but not opposed to adding a linear later on. PL tone encoder is a must.  Only radio I am aware of that has 100 watt out put is the ICOM 910, but I think that is pretty expensive.  I am not buying today but want to know what to start looking at.  I don't mind buying used.
Suggestions?

Bob
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 10:37:18 AM »

iCOM 9100
Kenwood TS2000

both have 100W output on 2M but are $$$$

You may be better off using an amplifier with your FT100
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 11:20:54 AM »

Bob,

You might look at an IC-706MKIIG.  50W on 2M and 20W on 440, and it has PL tones.  You can find them on the used market for $600 or so.

Don, K2DC

N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 03:10:47 PM »

Also consider the Yaesu FT-847 (used)...it has 50W on 2m and 70cm and was designed and marketed as a satellite rig. 
K8POS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 09:33:13 PM »

All nice rigs.
I was more thinking along the lines of a NON HF included rig.
Although the 847 looks nice.  Want to replace my HF rig at some point as well.

Bob
AB3NK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 05:17:42 PM »

Just my two cents, but when I bought my first radio, I said to myself and to the salespeople that I talked to that I wanted to buy a one in all radio that did all the VHF and UHF that I could afford.

The bottom line was that the most logical choice was the Yaesu 8900
With that one radio you get 2 meters, 6 meters, 10 meters FM and also 440.

400 Mhz is limited to 40 watts, all other bands is a honest 50 watts.
The radio is very forgiving and works well as a base station radio - once you figure out how to program it and how to operate it.

I bought the Yaesu software and was the only person to ever send it back.   I then bought the aftermarket software off Bob Freeth.
G4HFQ - which in my opinion is the very best program to use if you wish to use your computer to program your radio.

I have worked 10 meters FM repeaters as far away as Texas - 2000 miles away with the 50 watts of power FM.
I have not yet put up my 6 meters antenna, but I am sure that if there was someone to talk to - it would do just fine.

Two meters FM - I have worked repeaters as far away as South Carolina and North Carolina - 500 miles away!
That is with a crappy old droopy ground plane antenna that was made for use with a scanner and not a two meters radio, but has a 1.5 / 1 SWR, Belden 9913F7 cable and a couple of copper radial wires buried under the ground and it does very good, even just 16 feet off the ground - where I have it right now, mounted against the side of the garage.

My first Elmer - now SK, owned two of them.
One of his radios ran 24 / 7 in the house, and the other was in his vehicle and was never shut off for 4 years until he passed in July.
With a Diamond X 500 antenna - 18' off the ground and good coax, he could check in on nets 100 miles away from his location.

You could buy a Kenwood 2000 - but you aren't going to be able to use it mobile - very easy that is.
I honestly don't think adding 50 watts - to make it 100 watts is going to help you out much if you wanted to work Satellites - but you could try.
They make radios specifically for use in the higher ranges the whole way up to microwave with the addition of special boards, which are not cheap but works.The Icom IC 9100 comes to mind.

I wouldn't turn down a 897 or a 706 if someone was giving it away.

One thing to remember is that there is not a lot of loss in a free space - hence it does not take a lot of power to work a sat if you have a clear field of view of the sky in the directions you wish to operate on if it is orbiting and or if it is in a fixed geosynchronous orbit.

The reason I say not a lot is because clouds are reflective and smog also is reflective so not all situations are the same.
You don't always have a clear cloudless sky when working satellites.
K8POS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 08:40:31 PM »

I have worked a couple of satillites using just a 5 watt HT and a home brew 3 element X beam.
So I know it does not take much power.  I love to work 2M SSB when it is hot it is hot.
Would prefer a radio with separate antenna outputs, saves having to use a multiband antenna or a diplexer.  I have built all my antennas so far.  I think I would prefer more of a base station rig only due to many of the controls being on the front and not burried in menus.  Granted usually many settings are a set them one and for get about them type thing.  Time is on my side, not like I have to buy this tomorrow.  Just wish there was a near by store where you could go and look at all the options besides not just a catalog.  My FT100 works for now, just would prefer not having everything in one rig.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: