Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW Test Question  (Read 485 times)
KD5RPU

Ignore
« on: April 09, 2003, 10:22:01 PM »

I have a CW test question.  I am using the G4FON Koch method CW trainer and it's working pretty good.  After 2 days I am up to 5 characters with the character speed at 25 and the code speed at quarter with a 100% copy.  The problem I have is my "word" spacing, I tend to run some together.  Will this count against me on the test or is it even a factor?
Thanks 73,
KD5RPU (Jim)  
KC8VCB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2003, 10:32:58 PM »

i used the same program and had the same problem. don't worry you'll get better, i did. i just took my test a couple of weeks ago, and am still using the program to get my speed up.

gl and 73 de kc8vcb
N5CTI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2003, 12:42:08 PM »

Since you can pass the test in two ways, there are two answers.

As long as you can decipher what you wrote well enough to answer the 10 questions, word spacing doesn't matter. In fact, as long as you can answer the questions, you don't have to write a single letter.

If you don't pass the test by answering enough questions correctly, you can still pass it by 100% copy for at least one minute. This means that you must have at least 25 consecutive characters written correctly. As long as the characters are correct, spacing doesn't matter.

Boyd / N5CTI
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2003, 12:29:42 AM »

but remember, they use  the ? . , / , and all the numbers too so don't put off learning those too. you need all the letters, numbers and pro signs.  they will send something like a normal qso and manage to fit all this in so learn them..good luck  tom N6AJR
W7KKK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2003, 11:36:19 AM »

Yes, I like the G4FON method for use as a free trainer. But it does not give you very much practice with QSOs like you will see the VEs give.
Learn with it, it's a great tool,  then start listening to the tapes or CDs the ARRL puts out for the prosigns and such that are not on G4FON. And the practice QSOs and questions on the ARRL tapes are just like you will see in the actual testing. Of course they are not the tests given. Sorry, there are no give aways.
KD5RPU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2003, 11:30:47 PM »

I took the test today and passed!  I managed to get 34 characters of solid copy.  I learned the characters on the G4FON Koch trainer and practiced QSO's on the site at the bottom.  The below site is great and I recommend these methods to anyone.  I started out OK on the test then I slipped and when I missed a character I spent too much time on trying to figure it out and missed several after that.  From that point on I was so rattled that I could only get a letter here and there.  So believe me that it's good advice to just continue if you miss a character.  It is easy to decipher it later.  Thanks for the pointers everyone.
http://www.aa9pw.com/radio/morse.html
73's
KD5RPU
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: