Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bogus Powerpole Connectors?  (Read 2260 times)
K3AN

Ignore
« on: September 04, 2011, 09:50:50 AM »

At the Shelby Hamfest in NC yesterday I started to buy a package of 45 Amp power poles from one of the vendors there. Sorry but I don't remember if it was the "P" company or the "Q" company, but it was one of the two.

Looking closely at the metal terminals in the package I could see that they were slightly different in color from the terminals in the 30 Amp packages. I also noticed that the edges of the 45A terminals were bare bronze, with no plating at all. This was not the case with the 30A terminals. I pointedly asked one of the sales guys if the 45A terminals were silver plated or not. He confirmed they were not.
I suspect they're nickel. The Anderson data sheet states that all sizes of terminals are silver plated.

So what's going on? Were these counterfeit power pole connectors? Would nickel plating significantly affect the current handling capability?

K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 09:53:42 AM »

Whoa, I thought I was posting this in the "Company Reviews" forum. Sorry 'bout that.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 10:33:07 AM »

I looked at my 45A PowerPole terminals, ordered from PowerWerx, and they are exactly as you described.  Not bogus at all!
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 01:54:45 PM »

OK, but the clerk said the terminals were NOT silver plated and the Anderson web site says all size terminals ARE silver plated. If you look at a 30A terminal and a 45A terminal side by side you can see the plating is not the same. Just like you can tell the difference between nickel and silver plated PL-259S.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 03:35:35 PM »

The Anderson site specs that particular contact with a hot tin dip vs a silver plate.  You are not being ripped off.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: