Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power Failure  (Read 3133 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« on: September 04, 2011, 10:48:58 AM »

My power has been out for about 12 hrs now and I started up generator this morning. It is a cheap China built 3200 watt 120v unit I got a 4 years ago. It has not run for a few years and started 2nd pull. I used it for several days in past but this time I actually turned on radio gear to see what it sounds like. No RFI that I can detect with generator powering 1KW multi battery commercial UPS which powers wired and wireless networks and computer and cable modem and also powers a switching supply to power radio.  

BTW this was the result and several severe thunder storms that moved thru area. Strongest I can remember.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 12:16:26 PM by W8JX » Logged

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
MAGNUM257

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 07:39:01 AM »

My power has been out for about 12 hrs now and I started up generator this morning. It is a cheap China built 3200 watt 120v unit I got a 4 years ago. It has not run for a few years and started 2nd pull. I used it for several days in past but this time I actually turned on radio gear to see what it sounds like. No RFI that I can detect with generator powering 1KW multi battery commercial UPS which powers wired and wireless networks and computer and cable modem and also powers a switching supply to power radio.  

BTW this was the result and several severe thunder storms that moved thru area. Strongest I can remember.

So all the radio and internet equipment is covered. Bet that makes the wife happy!!  What about lights and the refrigerator?  Grin
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 10:46:08 AM »

So all the radio and internet equipment is covered. Bet that makes the wife happy!!  What about lights and the refrigerator?  Grin

It covers fridges (3) and some lighting too. The weakness is I cannot run my 240 volt water pump as it is only a 120v generator. And if I get a 240v generator then I will have to modified pump wiring circuit to be able to power it. Nice thing about current generator (3kw) is it is small and easy to store and very easy on fuel. I just used it for two days over weekend and averaging about a 1700 watt load (have a power meter on outputs) and close to 3000 on peaks I can get about 14 hrs or more on 4 gallons of fuel. Not to crazy about feeding a bigger one for several days as I have keep only 5 gallons of fuel for generator and know it will last a long while and 15 gallons will run it for several days if need be.  When I get done with it for a while run it out of fuel I drain oil in crankcase and tag it and store fresh oil with it. It takes a few minutes to service oil and gas but then I know they are fresh and it can run several days if need be and not worry about needing to change oil in motor.  It had not been run for a few years before this weekend and it started second pull.

You can embrace new computer/tablet technology and change with it or cling to old fall far behind....
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 10:44:57 PM »

It only takes a slightly larger generator to run a typical deep well water pump.    A 5KW will easily do the job.

The correct way is to install a transfer switch (Expensive) Or the quick and dirty way is to shut off the main breaker,
Put a piece of tape over the main breaker so there is NO CHANCE anyone can flip it back on, And just backfeed the whole house with your generator.  (Shut off most non needed breakers like to an electric range, Water heater, etc.)
Many places have a 240 volt circuit in a garage to run air compressor, Arc welder etc that work well to plug the generator in to.     Again, If attempting this method, MAKE SURE THE MAIN BREAKER IS OFF, Taped to the off position, And marked to leave off for the duration.    This method is not for everyone.   If you can't chew gum and walk at the same time type folks should not consider doing it this way.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 04:48:15 AM »

It only takes a slightly larger generator to run a typical deep well water pump.    A 5KW will easily do the job.

The correct way is to install a transfer switch (Expensive) Or the quick and dirty way is to shut off the main breaker,
Put a piece of tape over the main breaker so there is NO CHANCE anyone can flip it back on, And just backfeed the whole house with your generator.  (Shut off most non needed breakers like to an electric range, Water heater, etc.)
Many places have a 240 volt circuit in a garage to run air compressor, Arc welder etc that work well to plug the generator in to.     Again, If attempting this method, MAKE SURE THE MAIN BREAKER IS OFF, Taped to the off position, And marked to leave off for the duration.    This method is not for everyone.   If you can't chew gum and walk at the same time type folks should not consider doing it this way.

Exactly the way I use to power my house in a storm.  My shop is in the basement next to my driveway, and the garage is about fifteen feet away, where the 5000 watt generator is built in.  I've built a small access door for power cords and air lines into a window in the shop so I can work outside--I use that to feed the generator connector cord into the house.

Using a thirty foot length of 3 conductor eight gauge cord with 240 volt twist lock plugs at both ends, I backfeed my house through the compressor outlet in my shop.  When power goes out, it takes me about ten minutes to set up and get the generator running. 
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 06:10:37 AM »

My house has a sub panel that I installed and I could reroute pump to feed from it and have a 240 volt generator feed it thru a switch that feed it off main panel or generator.  Just never got around to it.  If I do get a bigger generator, I want more than 5KW.  Not for pump (its rated running power is about 1300 watts) but to power house better. I would want 6kw minimum and likely 7 or 8KW rated output and electric start. Generally a 7KW unit will use less fuel making 4kw than a 5kw unit will.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: