Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mistake  (Read 2731 times)
AA5WG

Ignore
« on: September 04, 2011, 08:29:45 PM »

When I down load files they are saved as Internet Explore type. 

The original GWBasix and .BAS files were not recognized by Windows and XP asked me what program they should be in.  I made the mistake and clicked Internet Explore and now all down loaded files are saved as Internet Explore type.  How do I fix this?
Chuck
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 10:11:29 PM »

When I down load files they are saved as Internet Explore type. 

The original GWBasix and .BAS files were not recognized by Windows and XP asked me what program they should be in.  I made the mistake and clicked Internet Explore and now all down loaded files are saved as Internet Explore type.  How do I fix this?

1. open Windows Explorer

2. select the "Tools:Folder Options..." menu item

3. in the "Folder Options" window, select the "File Types" tab; on this tab,

3a. In the "Registered file types:" panel, locate the entry whose Extension is BAS and click it

3b. in the "Details for 'BAS' extension panel, click the Change... button

3c. use the "Open With" window's Programs panel to select the application you want associated with BAS files, and click the OK button

3d. click the OK button

Dave, AA6YQ

AA5WG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 06:34:50 AM »

Hi Dave:
When I received the original GWBasic .bas files XP would not open or run these files/programs.  I don't know why. 
When I go through the procedure you outlined I do recognize this is the correct area where I made my mistake in selecting Internet Explore.  However, I need to have these downloaded programs returned to their original state and not associated with the different window's program panel options, i.e. Word, RealPlayer, etc.
Can you help with this?
Thank you for your help.
Chuck
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 04:35:48 PM »

Hi Dave:
When I received the original GWBasic .bas files XP would not open or run these files/programs.  I don't know why.

Because out-of-the-box, XP doesn't associate .bas files with GWBasic. Different Basic products use .bas extensions for some or all of their source files: Visual Basic uses .bas extensions for "modules", for example.

When you install a product that creates unique filename extensions, it typically directs Windows to create the appropriate associations. Do you have GWBasic installed?

When I go through the procedure you outlined I do recognize this is the correct area where I made my mistake in selecting Internet Explore.  However, I need to have these downloaded programs returned to their original state and not associated with the different window's program panel options, i.e. Word, RealPlayer, etc.

For Word, create associations between .doc and .rtf files and WinWord.exe

I don't know what file extensions RealPlayer handles; these should be listed in its documentation.
AA5WG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 06:32:54 PM »

Dave:
GWBasic is in a zip file on Desktop.  I can open the file to bring up Basic.  And, GWBasic is installed in the root directory C: dive.  This allows me to use VE3ERP   GWBasic ham radio programs.

I wish I knew how to allow a downloaded file to stay in its original format.  Down loaded files are now automatically converted to other formats. i.e.  Excel.  I really goofed here.
At present I have no control to keep downloaded files in there original state.
Chuck
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 07:05:09 PM by AA5WG » Logged
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 07:24:31 PM »

Dave:
GWBasic is in a zip file on Desktop.  I can open the file to bring up Basic.  And, GWBasic is installed in the root directory C: dive.  This allows me to use VE3ERP   GWBasic ham radio programs.

I wish I knew how to allow a downloaded file to stay in its original format.  Down loaded files are now automatically converted to other formats. i.e.  Excel.  I really goofed here.
At present I have no control to keep downloaded files in there original state.

Sounds like GWBasic is just a .exe file, and evidently does not register file extensions with Windows.

I don't think that Windows is doing any conversion of downloaded files -- it opening those files with an application different than the one you want. The instructions I posted above should let you associate the correct application with each file type.
AA5WG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 05:58:47 AM »

Hi Dave:
I followed your instructions again and this time under instruction 3c I saw "Browse".  I selected browse and found GWBASIC and selected it.  I think the programs are working. 
Thank you for your help! 
Chuck

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: