Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My first QRP QSO!  (Read 3796 times)
KJ4RQV

Ignore
« on: September 05, 2011, 03:05:05 PM »

Well, I found out how hard QRP can be and it was just like I was told. Needed patience, and a good antenna and some luck.
I wasn't having much luck with the Supper Antenna that came with the FT-817 I bought so today I hooked up to my Delta loop and my contact with a fellow ham in Tupelo, MS. Only a couple of hundred miles but I'm still happy.

Bigger things await.
KD0PAD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 05:49:10 PM »

Good to hear!
What band and how many watts?  How were conditions at the time?
Brad
KJ4RQV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 08:06:02 PM »

20 meters, 5 watts, horiz. loop
WB0FDJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 02:43:53 PM »

Hey, congrats on your QRP QSO.
I have the Super Antenna also, run it with my FT-817ND @ 2.5 W. I found two things really helped the antenna.
One: I went to the HF Pack website where they list antenna shootout data and found that this particular antenna works better with a longer mast under the coil. So I ordered one from Hustler-the mobile mast about 4ish feet long-and screw it into the base. The HF pack website into shows that this helped the antenna a lot.
Two: I added more radials than the funny looking wire pack that they give you. Cut several with lugs that easily attach.
My first day I was lucky enough to work DX and also had some solid stateside contacts.
Good luck.

Doc WB0FDJ
AE5J

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 10:19:29 AM »

Congrats on the first of what I know will become many great, fun contacts. I have run QRP for close to 30 years now and have accumulated around 150 countries and hundreds of non-DX contacts.

As you have found, the antenna makes all the difference. I worked Field Day one year with a Ten-Tec Argonaut on SSB. We put a little Hy-Gain TH3jr on top of an oil derrick (about 160ft up) and all weekend people refused to believe we were only running 5 watts. We didn't need to do the usual QRP hunt and pounce. We had pile ups on us and I don't think we changed frequencies more than once or twice unless we changed bands.

Today I use a very old home built Buddipole and a just-built Buddistick as well as a Par 10-20-40 end fedwire when I'm portable. I use a 135ft OCF Windom and a Hustler 4-BTV modified for 40, 30, 20, 17, 15, 12, and 10 meters. All this with an FT-817 and a new FT-450D turned down to 5 watts.

Get your antenna as good as it can be, good feedline, and some patient operating techniques and the rewards will be worth every moment spent. Welcome to the world of QRP and if I hear you, we'll make it QRP to QRP.
73...Pete
KJ4RQV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 01:59:49 PM »

Thanks to you all for the replies.
I did add 30 inches to the height. I teach welding at a HS so I asked the machine shop teacher to task his kids to making the extension out of an aluminum rod I had. They cut it in half and threaded it so it is packable like the rest of the pieces.
I am going to add more radials and screw them to the base.
It's nice having a shop handy.
K4LJA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 03:46:57 PM »

Yeah -- you're going to really enjoy QRP.  You have a great attitude and don't seem easily frustrated. And the FT-817 is a good radio.  Like the others advised --- pay good attention to your antenna and radials.  Good Luck.  You'll do well.
Randy  K4LJA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: