Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not my frequency - what to do?  (Read 1453 times)
W5CPT

Ignore
« on: September 05, 2011, 03:11:30 PM »

This has happened to me more lately and I don't know what to do.  I answer a CQ - have a short QSO with the DX - then someone else (usually another DX) calls ME on the same frequency.  I have tried to call a quick "UP" and then move up 3 or so and wait but they either don't hear me or don't move to the same place I am waiting.  Is there a "standard" response in this situation?  I don't want to take up the OP's frequency or time moving someone off for a QSO.

Clint - W5CPT -
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 03:23:35 PM »

In those circumstances I'll usually say "Sorry, not my frequency I'll listen for you about 5 up, W2IRT QSY." That works good enough, and I will then thank the DX for his patience and once more for the Q we just had.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 04:33:36 PM »

What mode are we talking about?  I normally don't operate SSB, but on CW a quick "Up 5" or something similar almost always works.  I can't imagine it would be any different on phone, although you may want to give yourself a bit more space between QSOs.  The only problem is not knowing if the new frequency is already in use.  I've actually moved a station a couple of times in order to find a clear spot.  I find this situation pretty common while working DX.
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 06:16:14 PM »

RS - Yup - CW - I feel odd about using "UP 3" but have done it since it is not my frequency and I wonder if the original DX thinks someone is trying to QSY him.   And yes it is hard knowing if UP 3 is clear - the scope on my 756 helps but there is no guarantee.  I realized that it happens mostly in the "Extra" band to which I only recently got access to after holding an Advanced license for many years.  I didn't notice it that much in the General portion.  I guess I will have to try your method a bit more.

Thanks,
Clint - W5CPT -
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 07:39:17 PM »

Just send "up". If he really wants you he will find you. Up 3 is pretty far, I would probably go up 1.

paul
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 05:54:39 PM »

I notice this fairly often on digital. I don't do CW (yet). I think a lot has to do with the lack of protocol for ending QSOs. I very much like it when folks end with "QRZ?". It unambiguously indicates the end of the QSO and that he is the one expecting additional calls. I guess it doesn't make as much sense when there aren't other known callers, but it removes any question of when and who to call. When you end with "SK" or "Bye" or anything else, everyone else inline is not sure if the other party is going to respond or who 'owns' the frequency.
WA4FNG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 06:35:01 PM »

I agree with the others - on CW a quick up1 or up2 usually works for me. I move up and call QRZ. As long as I get close to the right freq they almost always find me. But, there will be times when the other op will just get confused -- esp if there is a pileup and they don't hear you. But, you got the right idea...
73 de Milt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: