Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Falkland Islands rare?  (Read 3907 times)
M0TTB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 03:35:36 PM »

It isn't rare, if you have the propagation ! The US and south America are experiencing the best conditions for many years, unfortunately the same good conditions are not being experienced in Europe. Its been a very long time since anyone in the Falkland Islands will have had a contact with the UK

Mel G0GQK

No offence but have you checked to see if your antenna is plugged in? Band conditions have been excellent over the last few months in G... I have 254 dxcc this year, 208 on 10m.

VP8/LU are an easy path to G even when the solar cycle is at it's lowest. I worked Bob on 10w and a dipole on 17m in 2008 when the SFI was about as low as it can get... I've worked Bob 20-10m in 2009,2010,2011. I'm certainly not alone, thousands of G's have done the same year in year out.

As to those looking for VP8 cw, VP8NO is your man... active and a strong signal.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 03:47:49 PM by M0TTB » Logged
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2012, 02:22:08 PM »

DX-World.net has new info on a one man visit to VP8/F at the end of January. Look for VP8DNT.
K4JK

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 07:42:36 AM »

Agreed, Bob's your guy for Falkland Islands. I once read a story about him (not sure what publication) and his exploits during the Falkland Island war. He was communicating with the British government at the same time the Argentines were landing on the island to take it over. Really an interesting story. I've worked Bob on many bands and he always appears has a strong signal into the US when he's on.

Good Luck. I'm sure you'll get him soon.

Gene W5DQ
I was curious about this story, so I did some searching and came up with this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6514011.stm

Interesting reading.

ex W4HFK
M0TTB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 08:52:16 AM »

Quote from: W4HFK
I was curious about this story, so I did some searching and came up with this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6514011.stm

Interesting reading.

Many would've spoken to the 'bbc man' last year, as Laurie was part of the T32C dxped.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: