Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The LoTW Staff are very helpful.  (Read 6880 times)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« on: September 05, 2011, 06:07:34 PM »

I took the plunge and signed up for LoTW, I must admit the process is not all that easy but the Staff at the LoTW division are very helpful, they guided me through the process and helped me get the certificates installed as well as my Log uploaded.  
I know many people are hesitant, so I just wanted to let them know that the support mechanism for this process is a well oiled very friendly group of people, if your on the fence, I would say go for it!
It only took 4 days to get the whole process done and three of those were spent waiting for the post card to arrive in the mail.

73's
Robert

« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 06:10:14 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 06:19:56 PM »

LOTW is definitely worth the time.  I worked A45XR (Oman) on RTTY the 2nd of Sep in the morning, uploaded to LOTW when I shut down at noon and had a confirmation by 4 PM the same day.  A new one for me and on RTTY - BTW: RTTY guys are great at uploading to LOTW.

Clint - W5CPT - 
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 07:37:53 PM »

Robert,

Let us know how many new QSLs you have after the first few days of uploading logs! Checking into LOTW for a 5BDXCC chaser is almost as good as waiting for the package from the QSL buro.

paul
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 12:52:17 PM »

Robert,

Let us know how many new QSLs you have after the first few days of uploading logs! Checking into LOTW for a 5BDXCC chaser is almost as good as waiting for the package from the QSL buro.

paul

Uploaded the Logs with over 4000 contacts, got back 1400+ confirmed contacts and 119 mixed DXCC points confirmed
Wow a lot better than I thought, an automatic DXCC Certificate without sending in my QSL cards, you just can't beat that.

I had about 67 countries via paper QSL, so when i take out the duplicate countries I have 137 total.
I am wondering how I should proceed, which of the extra 19 countries should I drop from my application and save for my second DXCC?  The 19 most difficult like China, Faroe Islands, Tiawan etc.  I figure their is a best approach system for this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Robert
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 01:35:01 PM »

just get your first DXCC certificate with the LOTW contacts, and then "add" to this total all the way up to Honor Roll! You will need to get the cards CHECKED, either at a Hamfest or by sending up to ARRL, for "credit" toward your totals. Many many will be by card only so they HAVE to be looked at by hand.

But I never thought of a first DXCC, second DXCC, etc... You get ONE and then add to it (or have CW only or Phone only or Mixed or ... ...).

35% return on your QSOs, that is pretty good. LOTW is alive and well. 1400 "QSLs" for DXCC credit with minimal effort and no return postage, not bad. I am at 45% with 3900 confirmed QSOs.

paul
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 11:14:53 PM »

Ah that's how it works, thanks Paul   Smiley
I thought you used each 100 countries towards a new mixed band DXCC and that you could also get awards for each 100 on specific bands and modes.  Oh well a whole new thing to learn about, fun fun fun  Grin.
Thanks
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 07:54:44 AM »

Ah that's how it works, thanks Paul   Smiley
I thought you used each 100 countries towards a new mixed band DXCC and that you could also get awards for each 100 on specific bands and modes.  Oh well a whole new thing to learn about, fun fun fun  Grin.
Thanks
There are DXCC awards for bands and awards for modes. CW, Phone, Digital and Mixed (overall); 2m, 6m, 10m, etc, to 160m plus satellite (and maybe a couple more I'm forgetting about offhand). For each mode and each band you can shoot for every entity if you wish. I currently have 13 DXCC awards (10-160, CW, Phone, Digital and Mixed) and am working on 6m. What I do is submit ever QSL for a band or mode I don't already show as confirmed when I do a DXCC submission. For example, I have 30 confirmed on 6m right now. I won't wait until I get 100 (IF I ever hit 100!!!), I'll just submit the half-dozen or so I get every year. These count towards the DXCC Challenge and they also count towards the award.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 03:37:50 PM »

There are DXCC awards for bands and awards for modes. CW, Phone, Digital and Mixed (overall); 2m, 6m, 10m, etc, to 160m plus satellite (and maybe a couple more I'm forgetting about offhand). For each mode and each band you can shoot for every entity if you wish. I currently have 13 DXCC awards (10-160, CW, Phone, Digital and Mixed) and am working on 6m. What I do is submit ever QSL for a band or mode I don't already show as confirmed when I do a DXCC submission. For example, I have 30 confirmed on 6m right now. I won't wait until I get 100 (IF I ever hit 100!!!), I'll just submit the half-dozen or so I get every year. These count towards the DXCC Challenge and they also count towards the award.

I read your post, did some research on arrl and also got a lot of help from Norm at LoTW and now I understand the system a lot better, Thanks.

I have applied for my first DXCC using all my point, both a mixed certificate and Phone.  BTW this is not a cheap proposition, it was over $70 for both. At first I figured "oh just another $12 for a second certificate" then I found out that they charge for all the points a second time so that really made the price go up.
Anyway it's worth it for now, but I don't know if I will persue individual Bands, even though I am so close on 20M and 17M.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 03:46:32 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 04:08:47 PM »

I have applied for my first DXCC using all my point, both a mixed certificate and Phone.  BTW this is not a cheap proposition, it was over $70 for both. At first I figured "oh just another $12 for a second certificate" then I found out that they charge for all the points a second time so that really made the price go up.
Anyway it's worth it for now, but I don't know if I will persue individual Bands, even though I am so close on 20M and 17M.

It's not running the LoTW credits again. I figure your cost should be this:
Application fee: $12
Mixed certificate $14 (there was a $2 mailing charge for me)
Phone certificate $12 (same envelope as the first)
LoTW fee for about 120 credits (you said 119. Applied to all DXCCs being applied/endorsed.) $24
Postage to send any cards back to you (I select FedEx ground. Registered mail is more.) $8
Total : $70

So the second DXCC is really only $12 more.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 09:20:09 AM »

Robert,

35% is a very good response rate. I have about 8,000 QSOs in the system and my response rate is about 25%. Lately, I have been typing in some old QSOs (My Computer log only goes back to 2008) and the response rate is not bad (~10%) from QSOs going back to 2000.  It's easier to get a QSL from some of my old 10 meter QSOs than work the country again with propagation being the way it is on 10 meters. My goal is to eventually get all my QSOs into the system.

And, Yes, it it worth the (sometime) frustration and paperwork to get LoTW. I wish more foreign hams had it.

Chris/NU1O
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 12:36:09 PM »

LoTW fee for about 120 credits (you said 119. Applied to all DXCCs being applied/endorsed.) $24
Postage to send any cards back to you (I select FedEx ground. Registered mail is more.) $8

No, in my case it was all electronic so you can eliminate the $8 fedex fee but add in that the second certificate has the 120 credits charged a second time, so add in another $24. Basicaly every certificate you apply for, the credits are charged for again.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 12:39:26 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 01:31:04 PM »

No, in my case it was all electronic so you can eliminate the $8 fedex fee but add in that the second certificate has the 120 credits charged a second time, so add in another $24. Basicaly every certificate you apply for, the credits are charged for again.

I have used credits more than once for my five certificates but never paid more than once for each credit.

So if we subtract the $8 and add $24 that totals $86, significantly more than the $70 you quoted. You will get a detailed list of charges when they process your application and it will be clear what you paid for.  You don't want to be overcharged.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 01:34:29 PM by WW3QB » Logged
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 05:42:21 PM »

I have used credits more than once for my five certificates but never paid more than once for each credit.

So if we subtract the $8 and add $24 that totals $86, significantly more than the $70 you quoted. You will get a detailed list of charges when they process your application and it will be clear what you paid for.  You don't want to be overcharged.

Same here for my 4 DXCC awards. Never charged again for a credit once paid.

W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 11:56:09 AM »

Ok I am officialy confused.  Unfortunetly I did not print out the invoice but I do remember seeing the same credits charged for twice.  When I go back into the account this is what I see.

I had a 119 confirmed contacts in Phone and Mixed

This is what I see under the DXCC Mixed
Award Credits: Selected: 0 Applied for: 119 Awarded: 0 Total: 119
Key:    Selected · Applied

This is what I see under Phone
Award Credits: Selected: 0 Applied for: 119 Awarded: 0 Total: 119
Key:    Selected · Applied

This is the account info for the application

LoTW Application # 41xxx
Status Sent  
Timestamp 2011-09-08 21:15:36
ARRL Member No
Diamond Club/Maxim no
Applying for Mixed, Phone
Call Sign
Certificate Name Robert xxxx
Address xxxxxxx
Martinsburg xxxx
USA  
E-mail xxxxxxx
# LoTW QSO Credits Sent 247
# Paper QSO Credits Sent 0  
Payment by Mail No
Fees: Application Fee   $12.00
LoTW Payment Credit Fee   $49.40
Certificates Fee   $12.00
Total   $73.40

I blanked out all personal info
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 12:01:04 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
N4RSS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 12:27:30 PM »

I took the plunge and signed up for LoTW, I must admit the process is not all that easy but the Staff at the LoTW division are very helpful, they guided me through the process and helped me get the certificates installed as well as my Log uploaded.  
I know many people are hesitant, so I just wanted to let them know that the support mechanism for this process is a well oiled very friendly group of people, if your on the fence, I would say go for it!
It only took 4 days to get the whole process done and three of those were spent waiting for the post card to arrive in the mail.

73's
Robert

"only" ...4 days

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: