Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The LoTW Staff are very helpful.  (Read 6371 times)
WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 12:33:22 PM »

Ok I am officialy confused.  Unfortunetly I did not print out the invoice but I do remember seeing the same credits charged for twice.  When I go back into the account this is what I see.

I had a 119 confirmed contacts in Phone and Mixed

This is what I see under the DXCC Mixed
Award Credits: Selected: 0 Applied for: 119 Awarded: 0 Total: 119
Key:    Selected · Applied

This is what I see under Phone

# LoTW QSO Credits Sent 247

I am confused too.  I'm only seeing one certificate fee.  I don't see how 119+119 = 247. Something is not right. I suggest you send them an email asking for an explaination.

Edit: Credits can apply to more than on award, so it is odd that both are exactly 119.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 12:56:36 PM by WW3QB » Logged
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 12:57:13 PM »

Ok I am officialy confused.  Unfortunetly I did not print out the invoice but I do remember seeing the same credits charged for twice.  When I go back into the account this is what I see.

I had a 119 confirmed contacts in Phone and Mixed

This is what I see under the DXCC Mixed

This is what I see under Phone

This is the account info for the application

LoTW Application # 41xxx
Status Sent  
Timestamp 2011-09-08 21:15:36
ARRL Member No
Diamond Club/Maxim no
Applying for Mixed, Phone
Call Sign
Certificate Name Robert xxxx
Address xxxxxxx
Martinsburg xxxx
USA  
E-mail xxxxxxx
# LoTW QSO Credits Sent 247
# Paper QSO Credits Sent 0  
Payment by Mail No
Fees: Application Fee   $12.00
LoTW Payment Credit Fee   $49.40
Certificates Fee   $12.00
Total   $73.40

I blanked out all personal info

I recently went so far as to have the totals figured in LOTW application process (then I stopped at that point) for some awards I am now eligible for and this is my totals indicated by LOTW:

MIXED      207     Endorsement
CW          100     New
Phone      165      Endorsement
Digital      104      New
20M         176     Endorsement
15M         100      New

with 12.00 fee for each new DXCC; CW, Digital and 15M
and credits for 151 QSOs

balance would have been $78.20 if I had completd the application. I chose to hold for a bit before finishing.

Your balance of $73.40 seems a bit high when compared to the fees listed for my app???

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 01:03:58 PM »

I am confused too.  I'm only seeing one certificate fee.  I don't see how 119+119 = 247. Something is not right. I suggest you send them an email asking for an explaination.
Edit: Credits can apply to more than on award, so it is odd that both are exactly 119.

I thought about that but I am not sure if spending 30 minutes on the phone is worth it for the 9 extra credits they billed me for, thats about $1.50 in refund.  I just wish I knew if being billed for the same credits on each certificate is normal, because some people say they only got billed once?
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 01:08:19 PM »

I recently went so far as to have the totals figured in LOTW application process (then I stopped at that point) for some awards I am now eligible for and this is my totals indicated by LOTW:

MIXED      207     Endorsement
CW          100     New
Phone      165      Endorsement
Digital      104      New
20M         176     Endorsement
15M         100      New

and credits for 151 QSOs

balance would have been $78.20 if I had completd the application. I chose to hold for a bit before finishing.

Your balance of $73.40 seems a bit high when compared to the fees listed for my app???

Gene W5DQ

Ok now I am really confused  Huh Huh
What were you applying for, just one certificate??
 and how does 151 QSL's come into the picture, I don't see that figure on your list, is it the number you decided to submit? 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 01:10:33 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2011, 01:08:57 PM »

You will not be billed until they actually process your application. It may be corrected then when a human looks at it. Is your mixed really mixed or really all phone?

Edit: If this is your first DXCC ever, the first certificate is free. But the LoTW credit fee still seems wrong. I don't think the LoTW software expected you to apply for two awards on your first ever application.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 01:14:25 PM by WW3QB » Logged
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2011, 03:03:43 PM »

You will not be billed until they actually process your application. It may be corrected then when a human looks at it. Is your mixed really mixed or really all phone?

Edit: If this is your first DXCC ever, the first certificate is free. But the LoTW credit fee still seems wrong. I don't think the LoTW software expected you to apply for two awards on your first ever application.

Ok thats good to know.  The staff are so good, especialy "Norm", I know I am in good hands so I will just wait and see.
BTW I am not being fussy about the price, I was just wondering if paying for the same credits on each certificate was normal or a mistake.

W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2011, 03:39:03 PM »

MIXED      207     Endorsement
CW          100     New
Phone      165      Endorsement
Digital      104      New
20M         176     Endorsement
15M         100      New

and credits for 151 QSOs

Gene W5DQ

Ok now I am really confused  Huh Huh
What were you applying for, just one certificate??
 and how does 151 QSL's come into the picture, I don't see that figure on your list, is it the number you decided to submit? 

I was set to apply for exactly what I listed; 3 new DXCC certificates and 3 endorsements to existing DXCC certificates. New DXCC certificates cost the applicant $12.00 for each one requested on the application. Once you 'earn' a certificate, you can apply for endorsement stickers (no charge except for any NEW credits used - no $12.00 fee) to go on it to show progress to Top of Honor Roll on that DXCC certificate. 151 credits paid for were for 151 NEW (never before applied for) credits. That was all I needed to meet the qualifications for the 6 awards on the app. Hope this clears it up.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
K3ZL

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2011, 07:14:33 PM »

Uploaded the Logs with over 4000 contacts, got back 1400+ confirmed contacts and 119 mixed DXCC points confirmed
Wow a lot better than I thought, an automatic DXCC Certificate without sending in my QSL cards, you just can't beat that.

I had about 67 countries via paper QSL, so when i take out the duplicate countries I have 137 total.
I am wondering how I should proceed, which of the extra 19 countries should I drop from my application and save for my second DXCC?  The 19 most difficult like China, Faroe Islands, Tiawan etc.  I figure their is a best approach system for this, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Robert

I would be very happy with those results, however, I am only getting about 16% confirmations in response to my uploads.  I may have to go bak to SASEs to get my 5B WAS
K3ZL

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2011, 07:18:44 PM »

Uploaded the Logs with over 4000 contacts, got back 1400+ confirmed contacts and 119 mixed DXCC points confirmed
Wow a lot better than I thought, an automatic DXCC Certificate without sending in my QSL cards, you just can't beat that.

[/quote]
I would be very happy with those results.  I am uploading all qsos to LOTW and am only getting a 16% result.  Looks like I will have to start sending SASEs to get my 5BWAS.
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2011, 06:06:01 AM »

My results are in about the 36% range, give or take a half point. Most of my operation is DXing and contesting. 15,155 QSLs for just under 42,000 QSOs.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
K3ZL

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2011, 06:27:46 PM »

My results are in about the 36% range, give or take a half point. Most of my operation is DXing and contesting. 15,155 QSLs for just under 42,000 QSOs.
Peter, I am wondering if your better percentage of confirmations on LOTW may be because you work the contests.  I don't know, but would think, that contesters would be more likely to upload their contest logs than the noncontesters would.??  I wish I was getting 36%, but it's really sad that this great money saving tool is ignored by the majority of hams. There are several awards that I want to achieve, and that is why I have gone back to sending SASEs with my paper cards (while continuing to use LOTW),  Even though it is very time consuming and costly.  Cheers!
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2011, 07:27:55 PM »

I've got no doubt that contests and DXpeditions are the reason my rate of return is that high. I find the best LoTW-rate is from Topbanders of all things. I enjoy doing the two big 160 contests every year and my return rate from those two events is usually over 40%. RTTY ops do pretty good as well. Regular garden-variety stateside and non-contest DX stations have a much lower rate in my experience.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
K3ZL

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2012, 09:17:25 AM »

Yep. that makes sense.
LA9XSA

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2012, 10:09:27 PM »

"only" ...4 days
3 of them was just waiting for the postcard to arrive in the mail; read the posts you reply to please. Compare with the time, effort and expense of sending over a hundred cards through bureau service or direct with SASEs. Yes, it's only 4 days.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: