Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New property build - what to avoid (lighting, power etc) to minimise RFI?  (Read 2823 times)
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« on: September 11, 2011, 07:37:27 AM »

I'm just about to start building of a new hotel (10 room) here in Thailand, which will also serve as my home and radio shack.  I've been living at a hotel that I built some 6 years ago, but where there was little thought about minimising RFI in the use of lighting, power distribution etc.

Now at my new hotel, I have the chance to eliminate any systems/products that are 'infamous' for causing RFI!

My interest tends to be HF bands only, from top band to 10 meters.

I'd appreciate advice from more experienced hams about what sort of lighting I should use, or what power distribution system to use.  In Thailand, mains voltage is 220 volts.  My hotel will use a 3-phase supply, with separate phases supplying guest rooms such that the overall load is reasonably balanced. The land area is quite small, about 30x30 metres, and the property will consist of guest rooms that are set around a very small garden.

Whatever advice you give, please do not concern yourself with electrical regulations etc.  In this part of the world there are very few 'restrictive' regulations, and those would be ignored and not enforced anyway.  I have a blank sheet to work with.

Simon
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 01:31:19 PM »

Your biggest concern should probably be your antenna installation. Getting it away from the building (either horizontally and or vertically) will help to minimize RFI to/from things in the building.

The biggest RFI generators are probably TV sets, light dimmers, and anything containing a switching type power supply (that includes a lot of stuff these days). Short of testing each device before selecting it for use, I don't know how you can ensure that it is not an RFI generator. Most mfgs. don't test for RFI and don't know much about the subject.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 07:10:35 PM »

Your biggest concern should probably be your antenna installation. Getting it away from the building (either horizontally and or vertically) will help to minimize RFI to/from things in the building.

Likely single most important thing you can do. Not to play do other measure but get antenna as far away as possible.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
K9RJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 02:07:39 PM »

Don't use any low voltage lights in your kitchen or elsewhere. They use switching power supplies that generate 20 over S9 QRM. I have to turn mine off when I want to operate. Harris K9RJ
N8CMQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 07:15:43 PM »

I would make a screen room for the shack. Some call it a Faraday shield room.
With proper mains filtering, and good sealing of the screen, local noise should stay out.
get your antenna up high or as far from the building as possible!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: