Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beofeng UV3R  (Read 5389 times)
N5VEG

Ignore
« on: September 07, 2011, 02:47:32 PM »

I recently ordered one of these mini radios and was wondering if others on this forum have experience with same. Huh

Best of 73!
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 06:36:01 PM »

Hello N5VEG. I do not have one of these radios, but there are more then 30 reviews on this Eham site. Just look under transceivers hand held VHF/UHF in the Eham review site. It looks like it is rated as a pretty good radio.

73s

K2OWK
PE1HZG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 02:39:05 PM »

I recently ordered one of these mini radios and was wondering if others on this forum have experience with same. Huh

A recent review of these in the German magazine Funkamateur reveals that the spurious suppression on VHF is dramatically poor and way, way below minimal requirements. I'm no expert in FCC rules, but 25dB suppression will certainly not pass FCC requirements by a large margin.
I believe this high level of spuri will attract acctention of the enforcement folk.

Conclusion: while some Chinese radios are compliant (or would be compliant if they would be tested), some are not. The Baofeng UV3R is on the other end of the scale. If you mind keeping your license, please test with an analyser before you transmit.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

73, Geert Jan
KD7ZRO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 10:32:21 PM »

I have had one of these little puppies for awhile now. I do love the performance on UHF, but I've had issues on VHF, mainly while ragchewing with certain stations, the squelch chops a lot. The VHF harmonic suppression, as has been mentioned before, leaves a lot to be desired, but I did find a mod which should help filter the second harmonic on VHF. Here's the link: http://wa5znu.org/2011/06/uv3r-lpf/
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 05:54:45 PM »

These are so inexpensive they are intriguing.   I do not have an HT....and don't envision using one much.  Is the 2W vs. 5W of a standard HT going to make a huge difference in an urban setting with tons of repeaters?    The other one that interests me is the Puxing 777 (albeit single band).
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 08:32:45 PM »

Heard that some low priced HF radios from China are in the works.  Should be interesting!
KD7ZRO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 02:26:27 PM »

These are so inexpensive they are intriguing.   I do not have an HT....and don't envision using one much.  Is the 2W vs. 5W of a standard HT going to make a huge difference in an urban setting with tons of repeaters?    The other one that interests me is the Puxing 777 (albeit single band).

I've never really had too many issues relating to the 2W output of the UV-3R. I've gotten good reports on simplex as well as on the local repeaters.
KD8HAM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 03:58:09 PM »

I bought one of these recently on EBAY. Was 40 $ including shipping.

Radio I got is highly susceptible to inter-modulation. The small form factor is nice but that's about it. What's worse is I cannot hit repeaters in town from my apartment. Also the inter mod gets worse when I have the radio close to my laptop.

The Wouxun was much better in my opinion.

Just my $0.02 + tax!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: