The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New products introduced at Dayton convention?  (Read 1710 times)
HAMSTUDY

Ignore
« on: May 11, 2016, 10:45:01 AM »

New ham here with questions about how the ham industry operates and the role of the Dayton convention in new product cycles....

Do manufacturers (Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu, others) introduce new products/models at Dayton?  Seldom, occasionally, often?  If new models are introduced do they generally start shipping soon after announcements or is there generally a lag between introductions and shipments?
HAMFESTS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 02:14:10 PM »

Usually a few new products show up at Dayton but the lag to retail can be 6 months to a year pending FCC approval. New products may also show up at the big Japan Tokyo hamfest in August. Any new radios are reported back the first or second day on some Ham news websites or youtube.

what a few people are wondering about or waiting for is:

A replacement for the FT817 (came out in 2000, updated in 2004 (817ND))
A replacement for the FT857 (came out in 2004)
A new Yaesu radio with features like the discontinued FT847 (Sat radio) (discontinued in 2005)

A replacement for the TS2000 (came out 2000)
A replacement for the TS480 (came out 2004)

A replacement for the IC7600 (came out in 2008)(adding the IC7300 structure to a higher end radio)

Icom and Yaesu update their radios more often than Kenwood. I'm impressed on how the manufactures keep secret the new products till a show starts (Hamvention or Tokyo)

Sadly I can't go this time but I'll be checking the Ham news sites, youtube, and Universal Radio website for new radio news and pictures during the hamfest.

I do not know of any new products coming out, but I can only hope till then.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 02:18:17 PM by HAMFESTS » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 07:16:12 PM »

I would not hold breath for a 480 replacement. It is still selling well. Doubt there will be an replacement for 2000 this year either. Kenwood 800 series is only series not updated in recent times.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computing technology and change with it or cling to past and fall further behind everyday....
WS4E

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 08:31:57 AM »

My experience is that its mostly small companies that show new products at Dayton.

The bigger companies all announce their products at the Tokyo Ham Fair because that is their home turf.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 12:06:12 PM »

My experience is that its mostly small companies that show new products at Dayton.

The bigger companies all announce their products at the Tokyo Ham Fair because that is their home turf.

Not always. Kenwood for one has announced products at Dayton before Tokyo more than once. It depends on market conditions and who is rolling out what as they try to beat one another to market.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computing technology and change with it or cling to past and fall further behind everyday....
HAMSTUDY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 08:29:04 PM »

Not always. Kenwood for one has announced products at Dayton before Tokyo more than once. It depends on market conditions and who is rolling out what as they try to beat one another to market.

Are there any recommended news or other web sites that are typically good for identifying/publishing new product announcements that occur at Dayton?
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 11:25:43 PM »

Are there any recommended news or other web sites that are typically good for identifying/publishing new product announcements that occur at Dayton?

There's this site right here.  Info on new stuff unveiled at Dayton usually appears here pretty quickly if it's anything beyond a tiny niche product.  From here, Google can be your friend for getting to the manufacturer's official info and blogger/commentator reviews and discussions.
K8DJW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 04:52:15 AM »

A replacement for the FT817 (came out in 2000, updated in 2004 (817ND))

Don't see this happening in the next two years or more. I believe these are selling well enough as it is. But the KX2 might push Yaesu towards doing something.

A replacement for the FT857 (came out in 2004)

If the "FT-891" is actually released, I would imagine it will happen towards the end of '16, well before the next hamvention.
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 11:05:06 AM »

Usually a few new products show up at Dayton but the lag to retail can be 6 months to a year pending FCC approval. New products may also show up at the big Japan Tokyo hamfest in August. Any new radios are reported back the first or second day on some Ham news websites or youtube.

what a few people are wondering about or waiting for is:

A replacement for the IC7600 (came out in 2008)(adding the IC7300 structure to a higher end radio)

I'd be surprised if the 7600 is replaced within the next two to four years. It's still a very popular, good selling radio at a decent price-point. That and the recent 2.0 firmware upgrade added the most currently desired features to an already bug-free, stable radio. The only thing it lacks is a second receiver, however Icom strategy seems to only reserve that for its top end 7851 (a newly minted, non-SDR radio). The 7300 is an excellent (entry level) bridge to the higher end radios, and will be the technology of future Icom replacements, but I don't see that happening to the $3,000 and up radios for a while. Then again, I could be all wet  Cheesy 
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2016, 05:20:43 PM »

Elecraft was showing their $750, factory assembled only, KX2.
They were also displaying the it new puck style VFO which also comes with function buttons to run macros.  It plugs into the RJ-45 on the bottom of the front panel which served to program the front panel PIC, and which was never designed to be used by the consumer.  After a late day, one on one demo, it looks like a real winner!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: