Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: THE SLOW DEATH OF HAM RADIO FLEA MARKETS...  (Read 63311 times)
N8WWM

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2011, 01:43:15 PM »

THE SLOW DEATH OF HAM RADIO FLEA MARKETS...
Yeah, so what?
The same can be said about ham radio.
Things change, times change.
Ken  AD6KA

Absolutely...but you know, it sure is a pain in the butt trying to find a good used horse these days. I want them (whoever "them" is) to bring back the town stable like on Gunsmoke.
KA7RRA

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2012, 12:43:32 AM »

I enjoy going to hamfest but here is my take on flea markets/hamfest

I well not buy a radio that is covered with yellow smoke stains. you can not give me that radio.

clean your gear up  if it looks to scumy,dirty I won't talk to you

cut your prices in half I well not buy a use radio for 20.00 dollars,less than a new one( I bet more people would show up)

bring all of the asseroies mike power cord batteries,manuals,chargers, and have the batteries charged up  I well walk away from a radio that has no power,and I really don't want to mess with you after its over

make sure it works before you sell it,and be honest  I'm not that dumb

don't tell me I need to buy it now,because you can get twice or 3 times a much on E-bay, then do it, put it on E-bay,I like a good challange,and I well walk away from you.

VE7REZ

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2012, 01:04:38 PM »

Indeed most areas that have regular Swap Meets seem to be decreasing.  Even at events like the Southwest Convention and Yuma Hamfests seem to have less guys out there.  I think because you have to pay for a space it's too risky going out when you know you aren't going to be selling enough to pay your way and come home with some loose change.  That's why the Desert RATS Club and Palm Springs Hamfest have chosen not to charge commercial vendors for their booth spaces or Swap Meet sellers either. They treat their event like a gift to the Ham community!  They treat this as just an event to get together and have some fun ...meet your on air buddies over a cup of coffee or lunch and use the proceeds from food sales to pay to run the event.  So it's up to the attendees if they can afford lunch or not. This year it's under $10 for a days worth of fun ( attendees pay only $2 to get in and less than $8 for a good home cooked meal by the XYL's of the Desert RATS Club.  Just like the good ole nostalgic days Palm Springs is famous for.  Some interesting hands on Demos running through out the day and  3  seminars that are really interesting not the same old stuff.  There are now over 35 Commercial Vendors coming with companies like Alinco with their under $550 HF rig on demo for you to try. Yaesu, HRO etc etc and There have actually been many many enquiries about the Swap Meet Space.  Almost disbelief that it's so cheap is mostly the reaction of the  callers!  Commercial Vendors all kick in raffle prizes instead of rent and the Raffles are held all day long.  Swap meet is free to sellors what a concept... hope to see you all there I'll be the one drawing your winning raffle ticket.  hi hi! Come join us under the Palm Trees ...for all the details of ARRL Palm Springs Hamfest goto http://desertrats.x.am  and http://desertrats.am for directions talkin info daily Nets & other  info etc.  See the info on RAT RODS /Hot Rods/Classic cars etc in the D-RATS Forum

73 Peter VE7REZ
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2012, 01:44:30 PM »

Sounds like the time is ripe for "Club Fests"....maybe 2x3 times per year, club members bring in items they'd like to sell to a club meeting.  Everybody adjourn after the business and go into the parking lot for a walk around looking in the back of  vehicles.

Being a "clubfest" prices would be more reasonable,  as guys are dealing with friends.  Plus it's a good way to clean up the shack and get the XYL off your back!
N5USS

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2012, 10:48:26 PM »

Where i live there is no Ham Store or Ham fest or even a radio club. I'm in western Kansas the Ham fest we once had in our area are all long gone. Colby Kansas used to have a well atteneded one but the last time i went over ten years ago it was 90% junk and computers and it is now no longer. There was a couple of small ones that are no longer but the one at Beaver Oklahoma was a really nice one with a well balanced pick of ham gear but was more like a Ham operators get together and very friendly. I agree E bay and the internet has done a lot to kill the Ham fests but i think it has more to do with the aging of the Ham population and in general lack of interest.

Are you near Derby KS  (Wichita)?  There is a nice one, it's a Radio Shack, in the back of an appliance store.  The owner is a ham, super nice guy.  Not just a Radio Shack store, he has a LOT and I mean a LOT of ham radio gear. 
N5USS

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2012, 10:49:46 PM »

It's just not ham radio stores and flea markets.

Ever try to find a good military surplus store nowadays?
Nothing but chinese made imported crap and other stuff that needs to be in the dumpster.
WB4TJH

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2012, 09:59:40 AM »

Too costly to go to hamfests? That's a poor excuse for not going.  That's a simple issue to deal with: just carpool. I'm going to the St. Louis, Mo., hamfest at the end of the month, even tho it's about 300 miles one way from home in SW Missouri. I'm carpooling with a couple of other hams to split fuel costs. That's a simple solution to a simple problem.
KC7MF

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2012, 05:18:15 PM »

A couple of weeks ago I attended a hamfest in Phoenix.  There were two commercial vendors but quite a few individuals.  Some observations.

If I see one more radio with an eBay print out taped to it I am going to spill my coffee in it.  As someone said earlier.  If you want to pay to sell it and have your money refunded if someone complains then sell it on eBay.

I saw for sale:  GI Joe toys, flashing lights, bowling balls, old stereo equipment, new stereo equipment, a package of tube socks, 1,247,612 beat up computer speakers, 8 track tapes, some floor jacks, a carburetor, a monopoly game, used clothing, several hundred baseball caps, a dusty 706MKIIG without a microphone or power cable for $750.00(firm), some guys ford, a girl's bicycle and more microphones that looked like they had been fished out of a grease pit than you could shake a stick at.

It was such a good hamfest that I bought some RG8x jumpers (great bargain from a nice guy named Roger) a copy of the Graceland CD from the same guy, a book on Satellite radio from another nice guy (whose name was probably not Roger but I forget) and some coffee.  Then I went to HRO right down the street and bought a 2 meter antenna. 

So it was worth it.  Though it was frustrating that people were not selling radios, non-greasy microphones or amplifiers like I had hoped, and the prices they were asking for the few that were there seemed pretty high, it was a diversion.  I got to take out my HT for its semiannual walk and I finished my book on CD during the 5 hour drive.   After all, these things are over before noon and you meet a lot of people.  You might find some highly sophisticated tchotchke that you were dying to try out or even the ultimate find.  A hat with your call-sign on it that was only worn on Sunday, as a backup hat, in its original Walmart bag from the nonsmoking home of the SK who had it before you. 
W2TKW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2012, 06:01:14 PM »

Sounds like the time is ripe for "Club Fests"....maybe 2x3 times per year, club members bring in items they'd like to sell to a club meeting.  Everybody adjourn after the business and go into the parking lot for a walk around looking in the back of  vehicles.

Being a "clubfest" prices would be more reasonable,  as guys are dealing with friends.  Plus it's a good way to clean up the shack and get the XYL off your back!

That is so true!

At last years Field Day one of the guys brought his Yaesu FT 107M basically to see if he could sell it.  It had both the internal and external power supplies, the VFO and the external speaker with phone patch.  It was in immaculate  condition, very clean with no scratches.  When I got it home and fired it up, it worked beautifully, as I would expect since I know this guy takes great care of his equipment.  I have seen these radios easily fetch $600-700, sometimes much more depending upon the extras, on fleabay.  I was fortunate be be able to get it for much less  Grin, and I am certain I had far fewer problems getting this radio on the air than if I had bought one off of fleabay or one to the hamfests I have the habit of attending.

We definitely need more clubfests.
KD5RGJ

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2012, 07:05:37 PM »

HUNTSVILLE IS FANTASTIC  !!
KD5RGJ
N0LNY

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2012, 04:20:17 PM »

make sure it works before you sell it,and be honest  I'm not that dumb

I've been attending hamfests for 20+ years and I'd say 90% of the gear I've bought has been as advertised. I will also say that I've been rarely lied to when buying gear via Ebay or various forums... but I've been outright lied to my face on several occasions at hamfests.

When buying hamfest gear, I always have a good idea what the stuff is worth and always assume a piece of gear has some sort of problem. I make offers, generally low, based upon that assumption. I will not pay "top dollar" for a piece of gear solely based upon a seller's word that it works perfectly. If I want to make a substantial investment in a piece of gear, I'll be buying from a professional who backs the gear with a warranty, service, and support.
KI8BL

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »

yes i have been lied to,over ebay and hamfest.. you know they will get the same,some where else. hamfest and buying used equipment. get the guys call and name!! easy to track and will not to be stuck,with flipping junk.

we had our hamfest just two weeks ago. turn out was low,and venders was high,looking bad!!!

73 DE Ki8bl
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2012, 09:52:49 PM »

It's just not ham radio stores and flea markets.

Ever try to find a good military surplus store nowadays?
Nothing but chinese made imported crap and other stuff that needs to be in the dumpster.

Knock, knock:  Our Army and Navy our the smallest they have been since before WWI (ONE).  There isn't much surplus to be had, pal!  Wink
KC7MF

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2012, 10:22:39 PM »

Knock, knock:  Our Army and Navy our the smallest they have been since before WWI (ONE).  There isn't much surplus to be had, pal! 

Knock Knock...  No its not.  Not by a long shot.  It is 4 times bigger than it was in 1939.   In fact it is bigger than it was in 2000 by nearly 90,000 troops or 20%.   Funny how we forget these things.   Grin
AF6AU

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2012, 01:49:45 PM »

Oh, it's so late in my posting.

First, like many things Amateur radio, you get out what you put in, what you have done for your club or event lately? Who have you tried to stir interest in our hobby to, in the last year?
How many of your club actually go into the field, for field day? My club seems the idea of "Field" is the backyard of a member, and we plug into his 20M cube quad and 40M delta loop.

Don't be a do-nothing, get off your arse, and at least do something.

True, E-bay is easy, using the internet, pictures, and having delivery services do the work is convenient. But the attraction is simple, no admission fees (if applied to some 'fests), lots of variety, no walking all over, nothing to carry around, food, drink as close as the kitchen, and a bathroom that's familiar (big ++ for the XYL). And that's why things sell for good money there too.

I don't have an issue with Ham swaps becoming tech swaps, many of us have side hobbies and interests into computers, gaming, robotics, SWL, HiFi, even guns, hunting, and survivalists etc. We are a subset of an eclectic group, just as Radio Amateurs have Lowfers, Hf, repeater nuts, satellite lovers, even moonbouncers. You never know what interest you may rub off helping some kid filter out alternator whine from his 500 watt window rattling car stereo.

In pondering this, perhaps setting up a Ham Radio club table at a gun show, computer swap meet, or even a star trek convention would not be a bad idea.

I reside in Southern California, and finding a really good hamfest is getting even tough here. Your best chance is a tech swap, and who knows you may be able to sell that old pentium pro computer for $20 rather than giving it to the scrap bin.

If you know of decent swaps left in So. Cal. near north Orange County please let me know.
AF6AU

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: