Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beware of strangers hiding in packages  (Read 2903 times)
AA4HA

Ignore
« on: September 08, 2011, 08:27:22 AM »

I picked up an ITT Mackay MSR 8000 from an overseas auction and it arrived today. The box had a small tear in the corner that I did not think anything about. While unpacking the radio from the endless layers of bubble wrap a friendly scorpion popped to the surface.

I was elbows deep in the box and it could have quite easily rewarded me for my zealous Christmas-like package unwrapping. A shoe quickly terminated it's traveling permit.

This thing as a few inches long and looked a lot more threatening than the albino-mutant miniature scorpions we have in certain parts of the southeast US.

---------------
Maybe this is payback for all of the rubber snakes that I coiled up in outdoor equipment enclosures at remote transmitter sites.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
KJ4OBR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 08:41:38 AM »

I don't care who you are that's funny right there  Grin

Maybe this is payback for all of the rubber snakes that I coiled up in outdoor equipment enclosures at remote transmitter sites.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 09:01:31 AM »

The whole time scientists had figured that species migrated slowly between continents on odd pieces of flotsam.
KC2VDM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 07:21:07 PM »

Next time you find one, stick it on one of your antenna's and crank up the linear!  Some people pay money for that kind of food!  Grin

-KC2VDM
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 08:28:58 AM »

Ya' know......... The day may come when scorpions are hard to come by and you'll wish you had taken better care of the one you had!

Never change a password on a Friday                
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 03:09:14 AM »

Some nice photos of people eating scorpions here in Thailand

http://www.departingyyz.com/2010_03_01_archive.html

I haven't eaten scorpion - but I've eaten most other bugs out here - grasshoppers, beetles etc - they taste like ... er ... bugs!!

Simon 
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 03:48:40 AM »

Tisha,

You realise you have started a whole new generation of urban myths about things found in radio equipment.
I feel inadequate now, as the most I have found is a mummified mouse stuck (literally) between two circuit boards.
Oh well, time to go online shopping in places with poor fumigation and good bug populations.

73s
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 04:18:25 AM »

I'll bet you thought that if you purchased a piece of commercial equipment like Mackay that it would be "bug free"  Grin
N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 05:42:19 PM »

Back some years ago, before word processing migrated to PC's, my employer had a stand-alone, dedicated word processing machine.  One day, the machine crashed and the service tech traces it to a dead cockroach caught in the keyboard!!!

"Blondie" asked how the roach died.

My "boss" and I joked that the roach was electrocuted.

Honestly, it took about three days to get that blond back to work!!!

Jerry

N9LCD

Grin

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 05:18:35 AM »

Considering the time it takes generally through immigration in the US, it seems that in this case, they aren't very good at keeping undesirable possible killers out of the country!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: