The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another dismal Sept VHF contest  (Read 8941 times)
W5DQ

Ignore
« on: September 12, 2011, 10:02:05 AM »

As usual for this time of year, the Sept run of the ARRL VHF contest was a dismal failure from DM-15, at least on 6M which is what I am limited to for now. During the many periods I sat in the shack waiting to hear anything except static , I only heard one station in DM03, about 90 miles direct from me and he was very weak with lots of QSB. Given the fact that his signal was so poor I didn't even try to work him although I suspect we may have been successful had we tried several exchanges and given that I have 7 elements and a kilowatt on 6M.

I didn't see much in the way of QSO's being reported via DX Sherlock mapping page. How did everyone else do?

Gene W5DQ
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 08:53:55 AM by W5DQ » Logged

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 10:34:38 AM »

46 QSOs in 3 hours of very casual operation on the bottom four bands.  But, I'm fortunate to live in an area of the country with lots of activity. 
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 12:02:20 PM »

46 QSOs in 3 hours of very casual operation on the bottom four bands.  But, I'm fortunate to live in an area of the country with lots of activity. 

Anything out to 6 land? West Coast?

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
N6ORB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 09:17:17 PM »

Activity seemed very low this year. I got a very late start on Saturday due to a morning meeting. I went up on Mt. Diablo (CM97) and 3700 ft ASL. I logged 33 QSOs on six meters in a little less than two hours. I kept pointing my Moxon south-east, but didn't get any farther south than Fresno. A couple of guys in CN90 were the best I could get looking north. The other bands were even less active and mostly locals.

The first day of the CQWW VHF contest in July was a lot more active, even with hardly any sporadic E propagation available.

On Sunday I was in CM88, barely above sea level. I didn't log many QSOs, but did work W6AB in CM94 on two meters. He was louder than many of the locals. I heard a guy on the Central Coast (CM96) work central Arizona in a brief opening, but I didn't hear a peep out them.

Maybe we'll get some winter season Es to spice up the January contest.

Dave, N6ORB

W3PO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 01:46:19 AM »

Hello Gents,
Extremely poor conditions for me also, and I live on the NE corridor.
6m non existent, 2m poor 432 and 1296 were the best of the lot.
Put in a few hours on Sat and checked it from time to time and finally gave up for the first time in 30 years as the weather was way to nice to hang in the shack.

73 de Pat W3PO
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 06:54:51 AM »

Gene,

We were absent conditions here as well. My best QSO on 6m was with EM06 which is 155 miles or so.  Every station I worked on 6m was moved from 2m except one in EM12 who called me after I worked another station I have moved from 2m.  The Sept and Jan contests are tough without any bands above 6.  Even 2m wasn't very good for the contest.  No 432 here at the moment.

73s John AA5JG

Never worked 2M from here but my optometrist is a ham and big into EME. He tells me since we're in a bowl surrounded by mtns, 2M and higher isn't much good unless you setup for EME work. Not enough room or $$$$ to do much EME work from this QTH.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 09:16:25 AM »

How did everyone else do?

One place to look for contest score rumors for any contest is on the 3830 email reflector.

Archives are here:

http://lists.contesting.com/_3830/

The most recent summary of score postings is here:

http://lists.contesting.com/_3830/2011-09/msg00933.html

George
K5TR
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 03:23:46 PM »

How did everyone else do?

One place to look for contest score rumors for any contest is on the 3830 email reflector.

Archives are here:

http://lists.contesting.com/_3830/

The most recent summary of score postings is here:

http://lists.contesting.com/_3830/2011-09/msg00933.html

Yes, I am aware of the 3830 list. I was simply trying to spark discussions about individual results beyond simple numbers.

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 07:57:03 PM »

Central Ohio :  WW8OH - We worked the OSPOTA contest which included 6M, so hoping to catch you guys in the VHF contest we put up a 6M dipole 20 ft high by a lake.

Zero contacts.

Last year with a  vertical antenna we worked two stations, one in IL, and one across the lake, also in the OSPOTA contest.

Back in the June VHF test, our club's first VHF effort, we made 129 Q's on 6M with a 4 el yagi at 25 ft and 100w, despite S8 noise to our  north.  Turning the yagi South dropped it to S3, but that covered up  many weak callers.  then around 3 pm Sunday the rig went out and we missed the Es opening that evening.

N8YB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 02:22:58 PM »

From EN91 NE OHIO. I only heard one other station, W4IY from FM18 on 6 meters.
Called him several times, but alas the log is empty.

Jerry, N8YB
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 06:44:24 PM »

I was not in this contest, but have been in lots of VHF contests.

My friend Wayne N6NB went back east to operate from there and showed me some pointers  indicating scores were actually pretty good, despite no real Es on six.

Guess it depends where you were.

I was in the June contest as N6VI on Frazier Peak and I see we made "Top Ten" with a lot of margin for that.   In the 2010 August UHF contest, I won, with the highest score in the country for SOLP.  So anything's possible...but propagation helps a lot!
KA1MDA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 12:58:27 PM »

Perhaps it wasn't the brightest idea to schedule the contest for the 9/11 10th Anniversary weekend. I'd be willing to bet many people had a lot more on their mind that weekend than the VHF contest..
KG4NEL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 01:09:28 PM »

Had more fun with the Worked All Europe contest that weekend Smiley

Heard one contest regular from EM96, but nothing else.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: