Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Electronic Keyer Term's...  (Read 727 times)
KC0OHP

Ignore
« on: June 21, 2003, 01:32:10 AM »

Yes..Could someone shed some light on what is the different's between Semi..Break In "CW'?

And also Full...Break In "CW"?

What is the different's in these two term's??  

Also do most Solid State Radio on the Market today;
have built in Electronic Keyer Unit In the Transceiver??  

Also too can a straight key, be used with most Solid State Transceiver?   Hope u dont think these
are ""DUMB"" Question's.  A great hobby HAM RADIO.
Learning more everday about it.

Any info greatly appreciated...

Dwight 73; KC0OHP...
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2003, 12:46:21 PM »

Full Break-In - Carrier drops as soon as you the contacts break contact.  I.e. you can hear the receive between every dit and dah.  For me, it really gets on my nerves.

Semi-breakin - Carrier drops only when a specified number of milliseconds occurs after the contacts break contact.  Thus if the delay is longer than the spaces between your dits and dahs, you won't hear the receive until there is a longer pause such as between words or you stop keying.  This is the way I generally set mine up.

Yes you can use a straight key with today's solid state radios.  Some of them have two jacks, one for a straight key and one for a paddle to activate the built in keyer.  Some of the older solid state ones just have one jack for a straight key.  If you want to use a paddle, you have to plug in an external keyer into the jack.  One radio that I know of comes with a jack for a paddles to use the internal keyer but you can set the jack via a menu to use a straight key.  This same radio also has a separate straight key jack too.
W5ALT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2003, 04:28:44 PM »

One correction to the previous reply. The carrier drops either way, otherwise it wouldn't be CW, it would just be a dead carrier.

The difference is whether or not the receiver is activated between dits and dahs or not. With full break-in, it is and you can hear the band while you are sending. With semi break-in the receiver stays muted for a time and you can't hear anything (other than your sidetone) for a few msec after you stop sending.

YV1/W5ALT
W4YA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2003, 07:27:47 PM »

Suppose there is QRM on the frequency while you are sending. With full break-in you can hear it. In most cases it speeds up the conversation. I couldn't operate without it.

All transceivers have a key input.

And, the only dumb question is the one not asked.
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2003, 06:31:05 AM »

Full break-in is called QSK.  It's really nice for conversational CW.  When working my friend, I can insert a quick "dit" between his words (or even letters) if I want to comment on his conversation.  When he hears my signal, he will pause and I can send.  It's almost like full duplex!  Full break-in only gets on your nerves when it isn't implemented well in the radio.  Some makes and models do it much better than others.  Defeciencies can include popping, scratching and AGC pumping and thumping.  Now THAT can be distracting.  Usually semi break-in is adjusted with the rig's VOX delay control.  Slower sending requires longer delays.  Shorter delays can approach full break-in.  Implementation is different in different radios.  My TS-850 has only one key jack and an off/on switch for the keyer.  If you want to use a straight key (or an external electronic keyer), just switch the internal keyer off.  Turn the keyer on and plug in a paddle and your ready to go wtih the rig's internal keyer.  Contest oriented radios with two key jacks provide enhanced versatility.  You can plug your computer into the straight key jack and the paddle into the rig's internal keyer.  That way you can send with the contest logging program's software defined keyer (controlled by your computer's  keyboard) or by paddle.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: