The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Setting my Baofeng HT  (Read 3630 times)
K5CLC

Ignore
« on: October 16, 2015, 02:23:37 PM »

All,
I had some fun this past weekend doing some 'Extreme Field Testing' with my HT.
The HT is the loved and hated Baofeng UV-5R, which in the process of testing
I ended up setting my Baofeng HT on fire.

https://youtu.be/kZCDBsBuhmg

Hope you enjoy the little video, it was some crazy fun.

73, K5CLC
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 02:27:20 PM by K5CLC » Logged
KG5ELA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 09:41:53 PM »

I saw the video earlier from a different link. Great video. It really took a licking.

Tim
KC2MMI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 07:55:09 PM »

ARRL published some results this week. They've been testing h/t's out in the field (i.e. at Daytona Hamvention) for a couple of years now.

Number of traditional brand names (i.e. Icom) that are still 100% in compliant with Part97 regulations after several years in use? 100%.

Number of BaoFeng and similar cheapies that are OUT of compliance for use on the ham bands in the same period? Over 1/3 of them. And it gets worse from there.

So yes, they're a great bargain. Fortunately they are not advertised as Part97 compliant, so any penalties for non-compliant use fall squarely on the ham that's using them. Just as with any other "DIY, it wasn't certified for sale as ham gear" radio.

Just saying...at some point, the FCC is likely to notice the situation.
WB9YTG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 02:11:56 PM »

All,
I had some fun this past weekend doing some 'Extreme Field Testing' with my HT.
The HT is the loved and hated Baofeng UV-5R, which in the process of testing
I ended up setting my Baofeng HT on fire.

https://youtu.be/kZCDBsBuhmg

Hope you enjoy the little video, it was some crazy fun.

73, K5CLC
Why destroy a great little radio?

I just  purchased a Baofeng Daytona 144/144 handheld for $39.95 at the 2016 Joplin Hamfest.  Granted, the manual is a bit difficult to understand,  but with a little help from YouTube I got it going.

It's a very versatile radio for the price.
AB4D

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 03:45:41 PM »

Interesting test. I admit, I was a Baofeng doubter for a long time. Mostly, based on my prior ownership experience of a Baofeng UV-3, that IMHO is a total POS. Recently, I ran across a UV-5R bundle on Amazon, that included a larger battery pack, $31.66 shipped.  I could not resist. I figured, if it only received, it would not be a total loss.  Surprisingly, it works fairly well. The receive is acceptable, and the battery seems to last for weeks at a time.

I understand the transmitter may be a bit dirty, but at the highest power level, and using the supplied antenna. It's highly doubtful, that any minor spectral issues would be noticeable to anyone. Certainly, I would never recommend using a UV-5R with an external antenna or even worse, to drive an amplifier. However, as factory supplied, I doubt it would cause any issues.

Overall, it seems to be a good value.

Jim     
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: