Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "SDC100" -- "Screw Drive Controller" from "EDS"  (Read 2074 times)
KA5S

Ignore
« on: September 13, 2011, 10:06:19 AM »

I have one of these and though it does work as a manual controller with SWR LED's, there is obviously a lot more to it than that. I had expected a "tune to lowest SWR", but it seems a rig and computer are needed. Anyone know about these? It is NOT the same as the Ameritron of the same name.

Thanks in advance.

Cortland
KA5s
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 02:51:43 PM »

EDS? I can't find anything about them. Can you tell me more?

Most counter type controllers don't measure SWR in any way. They rely on the readout to get you close to where you were the last time you used the antenna on the band in question. Sounds good, but far from prefect. In fact, the latest units from Ameritron automatically reset the antenna when you turn off the radio. The antenna moves to the highest frequency (all the way in as it were), and the counter is reset. All well and good, but a reed switch used, which closes for about 50 ms, which for some installations is too short. The pulse can be elongated, but to be honest, doing so isn't all that accurate either.

If you're using an Icom 7000, the BetterRF TCSC is as good as it gets. If you have something else, then the Turbo Tuner is about your only recourse for automatic control. TT has been a bit unresponsive of late, but perhaps you can get an answer if you try.

By the way, the SDA-100 isn't all that wonderful, but it is far from trashy.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: