Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-820s  (Read 2323 times)
KB0KYT

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2011, 05:50:40 PM »

I am fixing a 820s and i got the diodes for the recv for the balanced diode mixers  what board is that on and what part number i know the old part are 1n60  i think its on the if board  please any help here
KA5IPF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 10:54:32 PM »

With all due respects you are trying to do a mod you obviously know nothing about to maybe fix a problem? You don't have a service manual. All of it adds up to a disaster IMHO.

Clif
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 09:35:08 AM »

With all due respects you are trying to do a mod you obviously know nothing about to maybe fix a problem? You don't have a service manual. All of it adds up to a disaster IMHO.

Clif

AMEN!  My TS-830s manual shows all of the PCBs and the component positions.  If you had properly traced your problem to the "balanced diode mixers" you would KNOW where they are! 

Sounds to me that you are trying to solve a problem by what someone else told you it might be. 

I beg your pardon if I'm wrong. 
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 06:49:04 PM »

hi Gary,

I am not trying to be a wise guy,

you have this same question in boat anchor forum,
please check back there, I have the link to the
Yahoo group.

If you need manuals they are at this link no cost pdf

http://www.n6wk.com/kenwood/

73 james
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 05:21:48 AM »

1N60 diodes are germanium diodes.  When used in a balanced mixer they must be
matched.  Do you know how to match them?  
Since you say the "original" diodes are 1N60's, are you substituting some other
germanium diode or some other KIND of diode??  
Why are you replacing the diodes?  If they have failed, then they would have to
be replaced (and matched etc.) but if you are attempting to do something because
you read about it or someone told you it was a whiz-bang mod that you can't live
without, I suggest you do a lot more studying (and check with the Kenwood group)
before heating your soldering iron.  Also Germanium diodes are easy to ruin.
Good Luck
Allen
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 07:41:16 AM by KA5N » Logged
AI7RR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 01:30:41 PM »

Folks, there's a mod in the 820 Yahoo forum that changes the germanium diodes to 1N5711 schotttky diodes. Supposedly improves things slightly. The author of the original post should join the Forum and go to the Mods directory under Files for more detailed information.

73, Roger
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 03:22:45 PM »

Many moon ago I was given several reels of parts tape, the kind used by automated board stuffing machines.

A good reel of parts can provide hundreds (if not thousands) of 1k Ohm 1/4 watt metal film resistors and soak up many hours in sorting the goods but can be a good way to build your inventory of common value parts on the cheap. Some reels have a nice assortment of Zener and other small signal diodes and I was lucky enough to score one that included a bunch of 1N5711 and 1N270 diodes. Both part #'s original HP.

http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/64551/HP/1N5711.html

As mentioned earlier, the 1N5711's are Schottky pieces intended for VHF & UHF mixers that feature the low forward drop of Germanium with the low noise and higher reverse voltage rating of Silicon. I have been upgrading the detectors in some of my stereo receivers with them and at 455 kHz or 10.7 MHz they are grossly under stressed.

In my experience they do sound better for maybe an hour or so. Then I get used to the improvement and it doesn't matter so much, although I never get tired of the quieter noise floor. If I had to pay retail for the diodes I'd probably pass as they can run $3.00 - $4.00 each, but as a freebie?

Why not............  Tongue

Never change a password on a Friday                
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: