Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood 2000 how do you interface Icom IC 2KL amp.  (Read 2629 times)
K4TFY

Ignore
« on: September 15, 2011, 08:54:35 PM »

I ordered a ARB 704 which will here next.For those that don't know the IC2kl is a 2 or 3 piece
amp.,power Supply, and the third is 500watt autotuner. The heavy black cord I assume 6 connection fits nothing on the 3 pieces so I AGAIN assume some way into an Icon. I have the manuals but says nothing on any other kinds of radios
any help would be appreciated
K4FY Byron @comcast.net
ZS5WC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 08:59:44 AM »

Hi Byron, it is all relatively simple..

You don't need the ARB 704 interface as the IC-2kL has logic circuitry that does not draw a lot of current through the transciever relay. So this can be coupled directly to the TS-2000.
If you look on page 94 of the TS-2000 manual, they tell you how to connect the wires to the 7 pin DIN plug ,and how to activate the linear keying in the menu.
So on the 7 pin din plug, Pin 2 is common (shield) for the PTT shielded cable, and Pin 4 is the centre of the same cable and PTT for the amp.  The other side of this cable will go to a RCA plug, and this will plug into the PTT / TX RCA socket on the back of the IC-2KL.
The ALC cable is connected to pin 6 of the 7 pin DIN plug, and the shield is connected to the 7 pin din plug case, the shiny bit with two halves that clip together.
The other end of this cable goes to a RCA plug, that pugs into the ALC socket at the back of the amplifier.
YOU MUST USE ALC WITH THIS AMP--and ADJUST IT CORRECTLY FOR MAX 500w AT THE BACK OF THE IC-2KL..
The IC-2KL supply will plug into the back of the linear, the tuner I think has its' own supply.
The coax patch cords from the rig will go: Rig ant. connector to IC2KL input , From Output to Tuner Input, From tuner Output to whatever antenna
73 de William , ZS5WC / ZS4L
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:39:42 AM by ZS5WC » Logged
ZS5WC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 09:09:16 AM »

I forgot to mention:  As with any amp, this one in particular can be easily overdriven!.. So when switching in the amp, reduce your drive / mic. gain to less than 20w output--you can always bring it up slighly again whilst watching the alc meter--this is why the amp ALC must be connected!..   Those transistors are expesive--so look after them.
Also, you will need to switch the band switch manually, as the band selection on the IC-2kl is voltage dependant--don't forget to switch bands.

CHECK what voltage the IC-2KL pSU has been set for 110V or 220V?.. IF you have 220V then that would be a better option--IF your PSU can be set for 220v.

I run my IC-2KL with my TS-850S and boy!--they work well together.. The IC2KL fan is just a bit TOO noisy!..

73 de William
ZS4L / ST1
WB6VYH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 08:01:49 AM »

Now it would be nice if he would pay for the Amp, power supply and AT-500 tuner that he bought from me and then did a chargeback or he could just send it back to me. Nice to have $1300.00 worth and not pay for it.

Bob WB6VYH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: