Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DXKeeper?  (Read 4093 times)
K4HYZ

Ignore
« on: September 16, 2011, 12:59:30 AM »

I have never used logging software but now that i am going to return to ham radio i have decided to try it.......I downloaded dxlab/dxkeeper but i am having some issue? When i open dxkeeper to the log QSOs tab it will not let me enter any callsigns, names, mode, qth, etc....I can enter tx&rx freq.  So i am sure i have something set incorrectly?  Any input would be appreciated?
AB4ZT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 04:49:44 PM »

Try clicking the "New" button before entering any data.  That tells it to create a new record.

Richard
K4HYZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 06:32:00 PM »

ok seem to have the entries working now Smiley              Now is there a way to set the tx band to a default?
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 11:39:06 PM »

I have never used logging software but now that i am going to return to ham radio i have decided to try it.......I downloaded dxlab/dxkeeper but i am having some issue? When i open dxkeeper to the log QSOs tab it will not let me enter any callsigns, names, mode, qth, etc....I can enter tx&rx freq.  So i am sure i have something set incorrectly?  Any input would be appreciated?

When logging QSOs in real time, you'll find DXKeeper's Capture window convenient. To display it, click the Capture button on the Main window's "Log QSOs" tab.

To log a QSO, type a callsign into the Capture window's Call box, and strike your keyboard's Enter or Tab key. Use the appropriate boxes to capture your frequency (in megahertz), mode, signal reports, QSO partner's name and QTH, etc. When you're ready to log the QSO, click the Capture window's Log button.

If you're using Commander to control your transceiver, the Capture window will automatically track its frequency and mode.

You can increase the height of the Capture window to reveal additional boxes or you can decrease its height to save screen space.

There's a set of keyboard shortcuts for navigating from box to box and logging QSOs without lifting your hands from the keyboard.

If you're just getting started, I suggest taking a look at these introductory articles:
Your questions will be answered more rapidly if you post them on the DXLab Yahoo Group, which you are most welcome to join.

Dave, AA6YQ (author, DXLab)

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 11:47:39 PM »

ok seem to have the entries working now Smiley              Now is there a way to set the tx band to a default?

If you don't have Commander controlling your transceiver, then when you type a callsign into the Capture window's Call box and strike the Enter or Tab key, DXKeeper will automatically set the TX Freq and Mode to the frequency and mode you logged in the previous QSO. When you log a QSO, its band is automatically computed from its frequency.

If you're moving around on 40m CW while making QSOs and don't care to log the exact frequency of each QSO, set the Capture window's TX Freq box to 7.000 when logging your first 40m QSO and leave it there. All subsequent QSOs will be logged with this frequency until you change it.

Dave, AA6YQ
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 11:54:16 PM »

Try clicking the "New" button before entering any data.  That tells it to create a new record.

While one can log QSOs directly via the Main window's "Log QSOs" tab, the Capture window is more convenient when logging QSOs in real time.

Logging QSOs directly via the Main window's "Log QSOs" tab is faster when you're recording "legacy QSOs" from a paper logbook, as described here. Once you get comfortable with the keyboard shortcuts, you can really fly!

Dave, AA6YQ
K4HYZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 06:57:17 AM »

Dave thank you for all your help.........the programs are wonderful i hope i can learn 50% of their functions.  I am ordering a cable for my ts450s to connect it to my pc..I seem to have the logging working good!!  I am now working on the spotcollector which is going to be great once i familiarize myself with it....

73s marc

k4hyz/hs0zju
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 10:25:44 AM »

Dave thank you for all your help.........the programs are wonderful i hope i can learn 50% of their functions.  I am ordering a cable for my ts450s to connect it to my pc..I seem to have the logging working good!!  I am now working on the spotcollector which is going to be great once i familiarize myself with it....

73s marc

k4hyz/hs0zju

My pleasure, Marc. Take your time, and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Dave, AA6YQ
HS0ZJU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 09:11:43 AM »

when using the capture window can it alert you if you've already worked the station?
W5DQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 11:00:38 AM »

Marc,

One thing I'd like to point out is for a long time I used a single 21" LCD monitor on my shack PC and thought it was fine. Recently I added a second 21" monitor and stacked these via a 'LCD tree mount' and now I can't figure out how I ever got by with just one monitor. The ability to open all the DX Lab Suite windows without the need to nest them one atop another is a pure joy to use. Many 'modern' software packages have multiple windows that enrich the user's abilities and DX Lab Suite is no exeception. So if you have multiple monitors or are considering it, by all means, when using DX Lab Suite take advantage of this capability. You won't be sorry.

To Dave - again thanks for your time and effort to freely supply what I consider to be the best logging / operating ham radio computing environment suite available today.

73 to all,

Gene W5DQ

Gene W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA - DM15dp
www.radioroom.org
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 12:58:03 PM »

when using the capture window can it alert you if you've already worked the station?

Yes. In the Options panel on the Configuration window's General tab, check the Display Previous QSOs on Lookup box. Then when you type a callsign into the Capture window and strike the Enter key, DXKeeper will

• - filter the Log Page Display to show all previous QSOs with that callsign
  • - display the callsign in red font if you've already worked this station on this band and in this mode

Note that if you have Contest mode enabled, DXKeeper will only display the callsign in red font if you have already worked the station on this band and in this mode in the current Contest.

Dave, AA6YQ
HS0ZJU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 07:20:25 AM »

Gene
I have two 20" leds. absolutely the way to go sub $100 each here. I set this pc up just for my radio shack (my wife calls it my private room). thank you

Dave
I will try those setting in the morning. I am starting to get familiar with the different modules of your program. I ordered a cable to connect my ts450s to my pc also. Not easy to remember to enter the correct freq. Hopefully when my antenna arrives I will really appreciate your program. thank you
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: