Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: eHam Scale  (Read 3655 times)
WA1OOA

Ignore
« on: September 18, 2011, 06:48:37 AM »

Where is the eHam Scale shown or defined?  Is this an actual definition of used gear quality or has this just been something that grew into being like an urban legend?  I can't seem to find this anywhere.
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 06:58:51 AM »

Where is the eHam Scale shown or defined?  Is this an actual definition of used gear quality or has this just been something that grew into being like an urban legend?  I can't seem to find this anywhere.

Never heard of the "eHam Scale".  Where did you see a reference?

George
K5TR
WA1OOA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 07:09:08 AM »

Google it!  Quite a few folks are using eHam logo to sell used ham gear on EBAY or other ham gear classified sites.  Items are being described as 3.5/5 or 5.0/5 on an eHam Scale.  Presumably 5.0/5 is perfect?

If such a thing does not exist then perhaps it should?
NA4M

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 08:31:15 AM »

I suspect it's the Product Reviews ratings.

Phil NA4M
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 10:06:48 AM »

It's a little like RST scale. Or the baseball strike zone.  Maybe better to forget a precise definition as everyone seems to. 
WA1OOA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 10:37:10 AM »

I am asking this question as I was wondering if there was such a thing as an eHam Scale (referring to some sort of graded quality).

I had come across several classifieds around the web that used this metric to describe the quality of their item.  Some of these sellers are hams other are not, just used radio salesmen.

So I thought that I would search here on this site, apparently the namesake of the aforementioned scale, and in so doing could not find anything. 

So I posted on the forum thinking that maybe I missed something.

Evidently there is not an eHam Scale.  Which is fine.
NA4M

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 12:05:20 PM »

So I thought that I would search here on this site, apparently the namesake of the aforementioned scale, and in so doing could not find anything.  

So I posted on the forum thinking that maybe I missed something.

Evidently there is not an eHam Scale.  Which is fine.

As I mentioned before I'll bet that what is being referred to as an "eHam Scale" is a misnomer for the ratings of a product in our Product Reviews.  Example. Take a look here at HF Amplifiers category:  http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/10

Note the 3rd column labled "Average Rating".  This is a numerical average of each review rating as submitted by reviewers.

It seems likely that someone (not from eHam) has applied the term "Scale" to the review ratings to describe the implied product quality as shown by the review ratings.  

Our ratings are described on the product review submission page when someone submits a product review:

5 - Great!
4 - Good
3 - OK
2 - Needs help
1 - Poor
0 - Awful!

73 Phil NA4M
eHam Product Reviews Manager

« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 07:02:32 AM by NA4M » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: