Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Intentional QRMing of DX  (Read 3077 times)
W2MV

Ignore
« on: September 26, 2011, 06:12:16 AM »

I suppose this is nothing new, and I have been DXing for quite some time now, but it seems that lately on many DX pileup frequencies there is intentional jamming. These misanthropes seem to manifest their personal problems by tuning on or near the DX frequency. It can't be just a coincidence judging by how often this occurs.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 07:10:48 AM »

The ST0R DXped had so much intentional jamming I literally shut off the radio a few times during the first few days.  It helped that I worked them within a few hours of their going QRV on 30 meters or I would have had to endure the BS.  I heard jamming yesterday on the 4W6As signal and that was only with a few hours to go.

The other day CO6LC, who I have worked about 50 times over the years and who I thought was a gentleman, would not QSY despite the fact he was just 2 Khz away from 4W6A and 30 over 9 at my QTH.  He eventually moved when my request became a stampede but behavior has certainly gone downhill in the almost 25 years I have been a ham.

I'm not a Sociologist but the behavioral problems seems to mirror society in general.

NU1O/Chris
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 01:28:44 PM by NU1O » Logged
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 07:31:16 AM »

I was bemoaning this the other day to my wife. She really could care less about Ham radio, but when I told her about jammers who forced me off the air (if you can't hear 4W6A you sure can't work 'em) she replied "What kind of sicko would find pleasure in screwing up something as stupid as Ham radio for another bunch of old guys?"

My sentiments exactly. Jamming is nothing new, I don't know if it is even "worse than ever", but it is equally sick as ever.

Any why is it that frequency cops are unable to send the letter "U" in the word "UP"? Seems like 90% of the time it comes out "I T P", the other 10% is "VP".

paul
WW3QB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 08:10:20 AM »

A major reason is due to laziness and ignorance. Software such as Ham Radio Deluxe has an autotune feature. So it gets the DX's frequency from the cluster (or entered by the user from the cluster) and the rig tunes up on that frequency. Too much automation is not a good thing.
W6DXO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 09:38:10 AM »

Intentional jamming of DX is one of the things that really ticks me off...you know like when some idiot is broadcasting what sounds like music on top of the 'phone DX or when there is continual tuning on top of a CW DX station...

It sure seems to me that I hear more of this crap when a Middle Eastern station is on the air.  Even the more regularly spotted guys like A92GE seem to be subject to this type of harassment.

Doesn't say much about "Ham Spirit" does it...

Just my $.02.

73 de harry, W6DXO
K4JK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 09:48:01 AM »

"What kind of sicko would find pleasure in screwing up something as stupid as Ham radio for another bunch of old guys?"

But Ham Radio isn't stupid.  Embarrassed 

(Honestly though I wonder what my wife REALLY thinks about it)

In any case, this is pretty sickening. People that intentionally QRM DX stations (or any station) really don't belong on the air. I hear this all of the time now.... it seems like this sort of crap used to be confined mostly to 75 meters but I only started seriously chasing DX a few years ago.

ex W4HFK
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 01:30:37 PM »

Any why is it that frequency cops are unable to send the letter "U" in the word "UP"? Seems like 90% of the time it comes out "I T P", the other 10% is "VP".

paul

I find the frequency cops to be as big a pain in the ass as the jammers.

NU1O
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 04:18:39 PM »

The other day CO6LC, who I have worked about 50 times over the years and who I thought was a gentleman, would not QSY despite the fact he was just 2 Khz away from 4W6A and 30 over 9 at my QTH.  He eventually moved when my request became a stampede but behavior has certainly gone downhill in the almost 25 years I have been a ham.

I dont think this was the same situation but I heard something similiar. One of the well known Cubans, maybe LC was on and calling cq for an hour or so, many QSO's. Then a DX station popped up on the freq he was using. Many Ops then told the Cuban the freq was in use, and to leave. I gave my call and said the Cuban has been here hours guys. The Cuban then said ok thanks for the info, and continued calling.  Someone then replied that he's " just a Cuban, and can get lost". It was super classy....Way to go USA op's.
N4JTE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 04:34:57 PM »

Have to agree about the frequency cops, heard a 9 station guarding 7.187 or there abouts because there was a JA dx posted on the summit working everyone but the US, guess he felt if the DX ever could be heard stateside he would get a medal for holding a non occupied freqency. Saying the frequency is in use because your computer says so is sad, lame and total lid behavior and not that unusual unfortunately.
Bob
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 05:24:30 PM »

I dont think this was the same situation but I heard something similiar. One of the well known Cubans, maybe LC was on and calling cq for an hour or so, many QSO's. Then a DX station popped up on the freq he was using. Many Ops then told the Cuban the freq was in use, and to leave. I gave my call and said the Cuban has been here hours guys. The Cuban then said ok thanks for the info, and continued calling.  Someone then replied that he's " just a Cuban, and can get lost". It was super classy....Way to go USA op's.

If that had happened I would have stuck up for the Cuban.  I have heard US hams belittling Hispanic hams for speaking Spanish and it pisses me off. In my situation I asked CO6LC to QSY because 4W6A was 3 Khz away and he said thanks for the info but then he kept calling CQ. I asked him what was going on and he said he couldn't move.  I was very angry and told him so and within a few minutes a bunch of US hams asked him to QSY and he finally did.  I have never disrespected another ham on the air for any reason.

NU1O/Chris
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 11:44:52 AM »

Intentional QRMing of DX???...No, really???....I mean, who would do such a thing???......That can't happen!.....I mean, you have to be kidding, right???...That sort of thing doesn't go on!......(hold hands, cum-by-ya, try to love one another right now!)..... Roll Eyes.....

V
KA3NRX

KB3LIX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 02:51:59 PM »

The ones that torque my skrews, are the fools that intentionally
park 1kc up or 1 kc down from a DXPedition and stay there for hours
making it impossible to hear the expedition.

It does seem to happen more frequently during the
last several BIGGIES.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 09:12:38 AM »

The ones that torque my skrews, are the fools that intentionally
park 1kc up or 1 kc down from a DXPedition and stay there for hours
making it impossible to hear the expedition.
It does seem to happen more frequently during the
last several BIGGIES.

And YET, there are the DUNDERHEAD DOLTS (which I frequently see posting on eHam), who obviously never take off their rose colored glasses Cool, that think this crap is ALWAYS UNINTENTIONAL. Those guys, in my opinion, are as stupid as the a$ Angry$holes who do the QRMing. Just my 2C worth.. By the way, I have not even tried 3D2R yet. Dont need em on phone, may try on CW. Gene
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 10:29:47 AM »

quote from AF3Y:
And YET, there are the DUNDERHEAD DOLTS (which I frequently see posting on eHam), who obviously never take off their rose colored glasses Cool, that think this crap is ALWAYS UNINTENTIONAL

I don't recall anyone here saying there's no such thing as intentional QRM'ing.  I would contend however, that most interference experienced by amateurs is accidental. 

Unfortunately though, there is plenty of intentional interference going around, including some that seems to be coyly disguised as innocent mistakes.  I hesitate to discuss this topic in more detail, because someone sick enough to interfere with others' enjoyment of their hobby may just get a big kick out of reading about himself.

Best thing is to ignore the bastards and never give in to the urge to be a DX cop.  Chasing DX is only a hobby.

Cheers & 73,
Chuck  NI0C 
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 12:03:38 PM »

quote from AF3Y:
And YET, there are the DUNDERHEAD DOLTS (which I frequently see posting on eHam), who obviously never take off their rose colored glasses Cool, that think this crap is ALWAYS UNINTENTIONAL

I hesitate to discuss this topic in more detail, because someone sick enough to interfere with others' enjoyment of their hobby may just get a big kick out of reading about himself.

Cheers & 73,
Chuck  NI0C 

Well, I dont mind discussing it Chuck..... No less than 10 min. ago, 3D2R was (may still be) QRV on 28025, obviously working split. I worked him pretty easy, as he was solid 599. HOWEVER......... Right on top of him was PY2EYE working simplex and was around 599 as well. I could tune him out pretty well, but as he was simplex, NO ONE can tell me that he did not hear the 3D in Brazil unless he is stone deaf. Nothing new..... SOSDD.  Gene
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: