Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is 4W6A even trying to reach NA or SA ?  (Read 11320 times)
W1FQ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 01:54:00 PM »

They were on 75 SSB on Monday, but no copy in MA. They had a fair signal on 40 SSB, all around sunrise. Today, Tuesday, they were 449 in MA on 40 CW just before sunrise, but did not hear them work much, if any, in New England.
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 02:19:57 PM »

Yes I missed him on 17m last night as well.

Mark N1UK
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 02:45:41 PM »

I've worked them fairly easily from here in CA.

My first QSO was 12CW on Saturday, then 17CW on Sunday, then 15PH and 10PH yesterday.

I see they had a satellite uplink problem and may not be able to update the on line log until it's all over and they're back home.

On 12CW they were very strong about 5 PM local time...literally 599+.  17CW a bit weaker.  15PH a bit weaker but worked with exactly one call when the op said he was listening .303.  I dialed up .303 and called just once, and done.  But sigs were only about 55.  10PH was like ESP...quite weak.

But they have very good "ears," and seems like only severe QRM limits their ability to hear.

I only call when they are calling "NA," which is usually after the end of their JA runs.  I've heard them call "NA" lots of times both on CW and phone.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 10:24:10 AM »

I worked 4W6A last evening on 10CW and they were specifically calling for NA (just after SA) and they were LOUD, truly 599 on 28.020.  Easy to work.

I think their problem is "not enough operators."  With 7 ops trying to keep 4 bands running, I'll bet they're tired. Wink
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 07:31:39 AM »

Interestingly enough, there were a couple of VKs complaining about 4W6A listening for NA only on 80m CW this morning.  Just a case of the "me first, me first" syndrome.  If they had thought about it (ha ha, yes I know) they would have realized that the NA opening was going to last maybe 30 minutes more and they would have had all night to work the 4W, as Timor is about two blocks down the street from VK.  Cheesy  Can't make everybody (anybody?) happy I guess.  From what I've heard just listening to them, these guys have gone out of their way to give different geographical areas a shot.  Maybe better than any DXpedition in recent memory, actually.  Same thing on 10m phone last nite.  Working NA, he stood by for the eastern part of the USA on several occasions.  When some JAs started slipping in, he shut that down and concentrated on NA again while the band was still open.  My 80m Q this AM gave me a clean sweep, 160~10m.  I can't remember ever doing that with a major DXpedition before.  I credit the good ops at 4W6A.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 10:05:30 AM by K0RS » Logged
HS0ZJU

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 08:59:28 AM »

they were calling NA general class operators on 20meters this moa
rning
K3STX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »

Interestingly enough, there were a couple of VKs complaining about 4W6A listening for NA only on 80m CW this morning.

I was listening then, I never heard them but obviously many others did (or at least they were calling, so they THOUGHT they did).
I think this one will be a NIL for me, too bad. I have only heard them ONCE (barely), on 40 CW at my sunset. Never heard them again.

paul
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2011, 01:40:01 PM »

Their loudest signals here...and maybe a sign we've finally turned the corner propagation wise...has been on 12m in our local evenings.

Paul, those VKs were bitching on the cluster.  Amazing when you look at the world map.  Working Timor from VK would be like us working the Caribbean!  Jeez, wouldn't wanna give NA a break during the hour there's an opening between 4W and our part of the world. Roll Eyes

Speaking of clusters, I've been using DXWatch.com as DX Summit has not been loading here.  Anyone else having problems?
AA9RN

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2011, 01:48:31 PM »

Congrats K0RS.     I can't remember ever trying for a a major DXpedition before and not getting them. I listened for at least 5 hours so far and tried a bit on 80 this morning and the disappointing 40 on Monday morning where he worked 1-7's and then back to east coast and then everybody.I tossed my call in there but no luck. I would like them on 40,80, and rtty.
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 02:08:40 PM »

and the disappointing 40 on Monday morning where he worked 1-7's and then back to east coas

Yes I remember that sort of thing which is why I was glad to give up my 9 call and become a 1.

They were on 80m ssb a couple of early mornings ago but I couldn't hear a thing. I snagged them on a very noisy 15m cw last night. The local storms made it quite a challenge.

Mark N1UK
W2LO

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2011, 02:26:32 PM »

It's been odd on the low bands here in TN; yesterday (Weds) they were solid on 75 phone for a long time at sunrise and thereafter but today they were much weaker on 80 cw around the same time. 40 and especially 30 have had very good signals.

I haven't heard a thing on 160 though.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2011, 05:17:30 PM »

... and the disappointing 40 on Monday morning where he worked 1-7's and then back to east coast and then everybody.

I was in that SSB pileup as well, and came out empty after many hours of calling. The same op showed up on 40 SSB today around 2100Z, with readable signals on the long path. He was mostly working EU and JA; there were no spots from NA stations. I called for nearly an hour before finally getting through. I then shifted to 30m, where a 4W6A CW op had ok signals as well; he was working NA stations, but a persistent jammer made QSOs impossible until the opening ended.

Dave, AA6YQ (near Boston) 

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2011, 10:00:30 PM »

Got home from work at 9:30pm EST, saw them listed on 10M figured it's never going to work but let me give it a try. Got to 28.495 and pinched myself twice  I thought I was dreaming, I hear a fantastic 55 signal, first time I have ever heard them this loud, so I make a quick call and bingo, first call and I can't believe it; I get through  Grin I listen for 10 more minutes and I swear to God the guy just fades out totally.  I look back at the cluster, 4W6A is also listed on 15M so I quickly switch, once again he's in there at about a 52, I make about 5 calls and Bingo I get lucky again.  Jeez I am so happy, I had really given up hope.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 10:55:38 PM by KD8MJR » Logged
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2011, 06:18:53 AM »

Got 'em on 80m after almost giving up even hearing them. Just before my sunrise, they went from inaudible to 599+10 for maybe 7 or 8 minutes. For those few minutes, if you were in my shack listening to them, you'd of thought you were on 20 meters, not 80! Then over the next 20 minutes they faded back to inaudibility.

Their 40m peak (the previous morning) lasted over an hour.

John AE5X
http://www.ae5x.com/blog
N5UD

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2011, 07:16:17 AM »

The best I have heard them was 30M this morning. A true S5-S7 on my mobile. I heard them go back to stations 3-5 times to complete a QSO ? same callsign, no correction. I got through the JA's for sure about 1255 UTC. The op went back to /M about 20 minutes earlier, but I don't know if he got any call at that time.

Now I need a SSB QSO on any band.

73 and good DX Tony
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: