Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did anyone else hear Odd activity on Citizen's Band evening of 10/04/2011?  (Read 2586 times)
KI4FAR

Ignore
« on: October 05, 2011, 07:04:47 AM »

I don't listen in on Citizen's Band much, but my nephew (who is a commo guy with the Air Force) called me around 9PM EST and told me to tune into channel 19 and let him know what I thought.  It sounded like a net call in.  I heard people calling in from as far away as New Mexico (I am on the east coast), give their 'handle' and then recite what sounded like a string of random numbers.  Did not sound like UPS/grid coordinates.  Thought is might  be codes from a cipher table, or something.  It lasted for about 20 to 30 minutes.

Did anyone else hear what we heard, and does anyone know what was going on?
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 09:07:27 AM »

The time to be concerned is if you DON'T hear weird stuff on the CB frequencies.  Ten-four, good buddy?   Wink
KI4FAR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 09:11:39 AM »

You are correct.  Prepare to hear ANYTHING of Citizen's Band-not family friendly-EVER!.

This was different though.  Must have been freebanders.  But it seemed highly coordinated.  Which I would say is atypical for freebanders.  Never heard freebanders with net control using a cypher table before.
WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 06:03:20 PM »

Numbers stations have been around on CB for a long time. (also on other HF bands)Some even operate split frequency. When skip starts getting strong is when you will hear them
the most. Most are Spanish language as well. There has been a lot of speculation for years as to the purpose of the Numbers stations. Most think they are spy stations and the numbers are a cypher code of some sort. Usually, (but not always) the speaker is female.
james
WD5GWY
KJ4I

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 07:25:09 PM »

Way back 15-20 years ago I remember hearing a couple of these kinds of nets on 11 meters. Was always a mystery to me and kind of interesting. Some of those control stations had some of the best audio I had ever heard. Probably running modified ham gear. Never really figured out their purpose.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 03:00:19 PM »

One explanation is that they are probably Freebanders who are operating on CB frequencies.  There are literally thousands of stations all over the world now, who are members of these "Freeband" groups.  They operate between 26.000 and 28.000 Mhz, with most of them concentrated between 27.400 and 27.700 Mhz, and mainly on upper and lower SSB.  They use familiar amateur lingo such as QTH, QRZ, etc., and well as standard phonetics when they ID.  They identify themselves with numbers and letters, and are actually registered in a database at the groups that they belong to.  You can actually Google their "calls signs" on the internet, and get information on their stations!  Sometimes there is actually more activity on the "Freeband" than on 10 Meters when the bands are open!  Go figure.
VE3LXL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 01:46:52 PM »

Odd behavior on CB radio? Impossible!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: